sauerkraut

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here's the recipe I used for my sauerkraut :

1 Med head cabbage
1 1/2 Tbs kosher salt
1 Tbs carraway seeds

You will also need a crock, a glass bowl, a clean cotton towel, a plate, and a weight.

Remove wilted outer leaves of cabbage. Cut lengthwise into fourths. Remove core. Slice lengthwise into strips. Place into bowl, alternating with salt and carraway seeds. Mush with hands about ten minutes or so.

The cabbage will start to wilt and release liquid. Put cabbage into crock, making sure to add all liquid that was released. Put clean, outer leaves of cabbage on top. Then place clean boiled cloth over that. Put clean plate on top and add weight to keep cabbage submerged. I used a pint mason jar filled with glass marbles.

Taste after 3 days. If any foam or scum appears, just skim off.
When the sauerkraut is to your liking, put in the refrigerator. Or you can can it. Process in a water bath 20 minutes.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do mine a little different. I got this fermenting crock that has a waterlock on top. Just keep the groove on top filed with water with the lid on so air can't get in and you don't have to worry about skimming off the scum. You do need to weight it down so the cabbage stays below water level. Those round stones do that, or use a zip-loc bag of salt water so if it breaks or spills you are still OK.

If you don't get enough liquid to cover the cabbage, make a brine of about 1 tablespoon of salt for each quart of water and add that to cover. I had to do that last year it was so dry when I harvested the cabbage.

Fermenting Crock.JPG

Here's some I made last year.

Sauerkraut.JPG

Attachments

• Sauerkraut.JPG
    Sauerkraut.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 307

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was better than store bought. Good flavor. And before you can it, it has all those good probiotics. The hot water bath kills the probiotic microbes. I put a couple of quarts of it in the frig to eat off of and canned the rest so it wouldn't spoil.

You can use about any container you wish, Bay. I'd never tell you of all people you couldn't do something!! How stupid do you think I am???

Seriously, I did make my first batch in a food grade plastic bucket. Just weighted it down with a plate like Happy Acres but used a zip-loc bag filled with salt water brine and skimmed the scum every few days. One secret is that it needs to stay dark where the cabbage is or it will turn dark. It won't hurt the flavor but most people like it creamy white. It will turn a little in a white plastic bucket but not anything like a clear gallon glass jug, unless you are @seedcorn. Seed makes his in a glass jug but does it in his dark basement.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner can I use purple cabbage? I have a couple of small heads that aren't growing anymore, I guess because it's getting hot. I used one for stir fry last night, it was good. But if I make a total failure on sauerkraut with a couple of these, I really haven't lost much. If it turns out good, then I will have learned a new trick! :lol:

Why Kosher salt? Would pickling salt work just as well? Is iodized salt the issue here?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pickling salt would work. I think iodine is the issue but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I don't know why you couldn't use red cabbage. Why don't you look up Kimchi and make that with red cabbage? It's the same basic process, just add spices.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

Latest posts