sauerkraut

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
At least it is not expensive to experiment with. How long do you give the kraut to ferment? Mine usually takes a month. If it is too crunchy, not sour enough, or still too salty, I let it ferment longer. In my experiences, the longer it ferments, the sour-er it gets. You just have to put it in the fridge to stop the fermentation.
The chemistry of it, the different stages it goes through, apparently can't be hurried along. I thought I had hit upon a shortcut by using kraut juice in a new batch, hastening the process. Well, it missed an important step and got soggy, in 30 days. I guess there are no shortcuts.

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I waited about two weeks. Clearly not enough time, but the juice seemed to be .....evaporating? And there was mold starting to grow too. The recipe I tried said 7 days? I'll do it again, but I'll have to add salt water to it I think, to be sure the cabbage stays under. I'll stick it in the pantry where it's a bit cooler than the kitchen. Darker too. Reckon that should fix it?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds like a good plan. Cooler is better. I do mine in unheated basement.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love my basement! It is so cool and quiet. If there was a bathroom down there, I would move to "the tomb" That is where I have sour kraut brewing right now, so, on second thought, it might be kinda stinky.:rolleyes:

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The new batch is in the crock in the pantry now. I added some salt water to this batch. Maybe too much? The brine is about an inch above the plate and weight. Hoping this batch will be better!

Latest posts