Save those seeds from your grocery store fresh vegs!! FREE SEED!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ladyhawke1, thanks for the posting. Did you read the whole site? I didn't know THIS (regarding, saving tomato seeds from fruit):
"A layer of fungus will begin to appear on the top of the mixture after a couple of days. This fungus not only eats the gelatinous coat that surrounds each seed and prevents germination, it also produces antibiotics that help to control seed-borne diseases like bacterial spot, canker and speck. "

Shoshana

Sprout
Reaction score
Wal-Mart is selling organic seed packets from a company called Ferry Morse for $2.00 each. Is it a safe assumption that if seeds are organic, they are also open pollinated? I was thinking rather than gambling with saving seeds from store-bought (harvested) produce, I could buy these organic seeds as my root stock and save seeds at the end of this growing season. Again, I'm wondering if organic = open pollinated... anyone know? Thx!

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Shoshana said:
Wal-Mart is selling organic seed packets from a company called Ferry Morse for $2.00 each. Is it a safe assumption that if seeds are organic, they are also open pollinated? I was thinking rather than gambling with saving seeds from store-bought (harvested) produce, I could buy these organic seeds as my root stock and save seeds at the end of this growing season. Again, I'm wondering if organic = open pollinated... anyone know? Thx!
"Organic" is simply a type of production practice and has no reflection on whether the seed is hybridized or not.

Latest posts