Saving money...

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One thing I implemented this year was planning ahead for garden harvests. I set up a Google calendar and I plan on having certain items once a month or twice a month, such as green beans. I make sure and can these things now so that I can have the correct number of jars. Once I meet my "quota" I can the extras or call a friend to give them away.

I have an abundance of tomatoes this year (not like last year, I bought them from a neighbor to can), I have canned tomatoes plain, italian style, salsa, and ketchup. I also say I'm going to have Italian once a month so I have 12 quarts of Italian style. This can be poured over cooked ground beef and sever as spaghetti with meat sauce, poured over meatballs, pizza sauce, or just plain tomato sauce with noodles.

I've canned salsa which can be used as a dip, over cooked ground beef for tacos, over shredded chicken, or in beans for a Mexican style soup. Very versatile.

I have quit buying sodas of any kind. I am a reformed Mountain Dew-aholic. This has made a big difference in my grocery bill.

I shop CVS (local Pharmacy store chain) and try to utilize their coupon and extra buck program to get the best deal for the least amount of money every week. I only buy toiletries and personal hygiene stuff or medicine/first aid supplies. No junk we will never use.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I should add I freeze over 200 ears of corn every year. I love corn and if you seal them in vacuum sealed bags, they last all year long until the corn starts coming in next year. I buy the vacuum bag replacements in the fall when Wal-Mart marks their canning/freezing stuff down real cheap.

I also have a dehydrator, if I buy a head of fresh broccoli and use some but don't get around to using the rest. I don't let it get bad, I blanch and then dehydrate it. I've done carrots, cabbage, apples, peach, pineapple, beef jerky, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, zucchini candy and much more. If you have just a few things left, don't throw it away, dehydrate it and use it later on.

I guess dehydrating doesn't save money but it doesn't waste the money you've spent.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
One thing that I thought about that I do is I make a plan for the meals I am going to make for the week. Then when I am making my grocery list, I make sure I have everything I need to make the dinners which helps me cut down on impulse buying.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good article, Mama! I try to be very frugal...We rarely waste anything. If it is something we just can't eat- that goes to the chickens or the compost pile. I just made the best bathtub cleaner ever. It is Dawn dish detergent and white vinegar. You spray it on, wait an hour and all the dirt in your tub, wipes off. No scrubbing at all. Being a barefooter whenever I can- the bottom of my tub gets dirt foot prints in it...completely gone!! Canning and freezing is the best! I love Craigslist and all the local thrift stores. I am not even adverse to dumpster diving! I set foot in the mall, maybe once a year. Simple things make such a difference- watering down dish soap. Using a little less shampoo and conditioner. Whatever I can do to keep a penny in my pocket- I do it!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am using the bathtub cleaner, too, lesa. works great! I have found that after spraying and wiping it off a few times, you don't need to wipe it off anymore! Just give the tub a good spray, then come back later and rinse. The only thing is, it makes the bathtub slick, so be careful getting in, etc. Sure beats those nasty chemicals.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Great article Momma!

1. I wash and re-use tinfoil and zip lock bags as long as they have not had meat in them. Normally the tinfoil has been used to cover a bowl or something and is barely soiled. Why throw it away? Ziplock sandwich bags; we bring nuts, sandwiches, veggies, what ever in them for lunch. Bring them home, wash them out and let them air dry. This saves a lot of money! If they are soiled like with peanut butter or something I will toss them. But for the most part, crumbs, just come out and we re-use them.

2. If someone offers me something, I take it! I never used to be that way. Pride wouldn't allow me to accept anything I hadn't worked for. Bah! Age has taught me to get over that! If I can use it great. If not, it can be given away or sold.

3. We have only had one vehicle for over a year. We carpool to work and I know everyone can't do that. It means that I sit in a parking lot for an hour before I have to go to work and the farmer sits and waits for me to get out of work for an hour after his work. But with a 50 minute drive each way, it has saved us gas, insurance, registration etc. on what used to be two vehicles. Yes, sometimes it is quite inconvieniant, but we have always been able to make adjustments or rely on others when absolutely neccessary.

We spend a ton of money on food for the animals. Some day the animals will give us food back and we will have a payday. But until then, by doing these things and some of what others have mentioned, this is the only way we can afford to feed them. I'm not complainning. We like it, we're blessed and happier then we have ever been. But it is a choice and not the way of life for everyone.

I look forward to hearing others ideas as well!

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I made sure to fully use my garden space this year -- as soon as any planting was past its time, up it came and new seeds or plants went in.

My seeds are going into use, not sitting in the garden shed, and I'm getting more from the garden.

We eat based on what needs to be eaten -- what's in the garden, leftovers, etc.

I also make my doggie's "canned" food. Any leftover meats, trimmings from meats, etc. go in the freezer. I cook them up, cutting as needed to get small chunks and slow cook. Add carrots, rice to the broth. Simmer to cook the rice, and cool emough to put in sandwich bags. Freeze until needed. He's had venison kidneys and heart, turkey (from the carcass), among others.

But, I tend to use carcasses for soups..... Or, to make broth for later use.

Last advice -- spend on tools. Sometimes buying a needed tool saves a lot of time. Timed saved means more time for "saving money" activities.

Latest posts