Saving money...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I guess someone could extrapolate from all this and give us a chart that shows a number indicating which home-grown veggies and fruits give the biggest nutritional value for the least money.

I am disappointed that grapes are not considered high on the list. I guess when in season, and you can get good red grapes for 99 cents a pound, it would change the picture.

I have never felt that sweet corn was a good nutritional/garden space value, nor potatoes. But the cabbage surprized me. Yea for cabbage! Yea for fermented kraut, and multiplying it's nutritional value!

Thanks for the interesting links, digitS'

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
<snip> I have never felt that sweet corn was a good nutritional/garden space value <snip>
I have stopped growing sweet corn entirely. It takes up garden space, time, and money. When my corn is ready for picking everyone else's corn is ready, too. The roadside stands sell it for much less than it costs me to grow it. Caity-bug (That's our next door neighbor girl down the road. Oh what a sweetheart.) sells her Silver Queen and Bodacious to me for 10 an ear. There's no way I can grow it for that. We usually put up 10 to 12 qt. each year and eat a ton of it roasted on the grill in August and September.

Latest posts