Saving Seeds

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I want to be self sustaining in the future. I would like to produce all my own food and not have to rely on going to the store every time I need something. So I was wondering. Can you save seeds from plants you grow for the following year? If so, how do you do it? For example, I'm hoping to grow cucumbers this year to make pickles. I would like to grow them next year as well and if for any reason I run out of cucumber seeds before next year, would it be possible to get next years seeds from the plants I grow this year?

(How do you do this with herbs and leafy plants that don't give vegetables or fruits?)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can you save seeds from plants you grow for the following year?
Yes, usually

If so, how do you do it?
Wait until fruit is mature, scoop out seeds and allow to sun dry.

How do you do this with herbs and leafy plants that don't give vegetables or fruits?
Leafy greens (like lettuce, or even carrots) will develop seed pods, it's just that we usually harvest and use them before they get to the this point. You have to leave some out during the hot summer months and they will "bolt"

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Plan on leaving a few plants for seed. It can take quite a bit of time for seeds to develop on some plants. At least it seems that way to me when I am wanting to save seed and wanting to get something else planted in that area.
Carrots take 2 seasons to flower and "go to seed" in my experience. Greens will bolt when it gets to hot and flower, but it does take a while to produce viable seeds. I ended up devoting a small bed just for some things to go to seed.

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Tomato seeds seem to do better if you use the "fermenting" method to save them. Just a little something I've noticed. You take the seeds and put them in a little jar or cup of water and let the bacterial process clean them off for you. Then you rinse them and let them dry.
The most important part of seed saving of course is to use the seeds from vegetables that are not hybrids and to make sure no cross-pollinating has occurred.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So seeds that I did not use this year because I ordered too many can be used for next year? What type or storing conditions do you need?

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
agirly4chicks said:
So seeds that I did not use this year because I ordered too many can be used for next year? What type or storing conditions do you need?
Yepper! Put them in a ziploc bag and keep them in dark, cool, dry place-a refrigerator would be even better if you have the room.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm sure you get better results by keeping seeds in the fridge, but I actually left mine in a box in my laundry room, which gets pretty hot in the summer, and I've still had really good germination this year.