Saving Tomato Seeds

cookiesdaddy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have this fabulous Southern Night tomato plant that I want to save seed for next year. Unfortunately it's planted next to a Brandy Wine. I don't want to go through the business of covering the flower if I can avoid it. So ... if I just take a ripe fruit and save seeds from that, and immediately plant one or two seeds in a pot. If it "takes" (seedling comes up), does that mean my seed is going to be OK? (that means no cross pollination and I can save these seeds for several Southern Night plants next year?)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This site is pretty detailed on saving tomato seeds and I think it answers your questions. I personally never ferment the tomato seeds, just put them on a paper towel to dry, then store them in a glass jar for the next year. I imagine if you do ferment you increase your germination rate, but I've always had good enough success.

The information on how the tomato actually pollinates is interesting too. It shows that while cross pollination is possible, it is not likely.

http://www.selectedplants.com/seedsaving.htm

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cookiesdaddy said:
I have this fabulous Southern Night tomato plant that I want to save seed for next year. Unfortunately it's planted next to a Brandy Wine. I don't want to go through the business of covering the flower if I can avoid it. So ... if I just take a ripe fruit and save seeds from that, and immediately plant one or two seeds in a pot. If it "takes" (seedling comes up), does that mean my seed is going to be OK? (that means no cross pollination and I can save these seeds for several Southern Night plants next year?)
Sorry, but whether or not seeds come up when planted has nothing at all to do with whether there was crosspollination.

Since tomatoes don't outcross as much as many things, you are "probably mostly" okay. But if you really care about that particular plant, it might be worth bagging one or two flower spikes (and hand-pollinating, and labelling once the fruits are set and the bag comes off) if you want to be SURE.

I don't normally ferment my tomato seeds either, and like Ridgerunner have quite acceptable results, but of course your mileage may vary.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts