Scarey If True

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's come down to who you can trust, once you start messing with the old mother nature, sometimes it takes years for devastating conditions show up.
No thanks, I'm sticking with heirlooms for the most part. Plant more than you need, you might lose some to bugs, you may lose some to disease or even the weather can nix them but usually there will be enough left for you. Keep seed from these, over the years they will become acclimatized to your location and also build up their own immune systems.
Welcome Bea:).

Annette

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Bea and welcome to the forum. You might start a thread introducing yourself so we can welcome you properly but you don't have to. You are welcome to join in any conversation. i'm glad you are here.

This is an interesting topic. BT has long been a favorite of the organic crowd, it is an approved organic pesticide. I really like it. There are a few different BT's, each target a specific part of specific insects life cycles and don't harm any other. The specific BT they are talking about here targets certain caterpillar forms like the corm ear worm or cabbage moth caterpillar but will not harm the moth of either, let alone bees. it is target specific and very effective.

But this version is not applied like a pesticide, it is genetically engineered by gene manipulation. I can understand why people would not like that.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is not new. We have the most unhealthy population in the world despite having plenty of food. I would say there is a difference between corn having BT sprayed on them and having it with their genetic make up.
That is my main concern also. I've used BT for years (ironically, mostly on sweet corn) with great results. However, it was applied in small amounts externally - and any of the spray that remained would have been washed off prior to consumption. The same can't be said of the BT toxin present in every cell of the GM corn... and obviously, it won't wash off. Then too, the BT genes are not the only genes artificially inserted; there are the glyphosphate-resistant genes as well. This represents the introduction of new proteins into the human body, possibly in large amounts depending upon the individual diet... and these products have not yet been around long enough to observe their long-term effects on the population.

Consistently, studies that purport to show possible health risks of GM crops are targeted for criticism, leaving only the "reputable" studies funded or influenced by the GM companies themselves to be the final word. Its hard to know who to trust... after all, the makers of Agent Orange wouldn't lie to us, would they?

This is a controversial topic, one which tends to evoke strong feelings in the garden community - and sometimes animosity. What I've come to enjoy most about TEG is its overwhelmingly positive, inclusive tone... so this will be my last word on the subject.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
1). I do understand why people don’t like GMO. I don’t use in my garden-I’m too cheap. It requires licensing as well as documented paperwork as to where you planted it.
2). Neonicotinoids on seed are at very low rates that only stop seed corn maggots and wireworms-they have to eat the seed, it’s not a contact killer. By the time the plant is 2” tall, it’s gone. You get more from tobacco-what the insecticide is made from.m
3). Bee industry has studied much higher levels of insecticides to find a relationship. None found. Commercial Ag supported this as bees are a huge asset in agriculture.
4). Bt that you sprinkle on is absorbed by plant at much higher levels than is found in GMO. Plus Bt is specific for a few insects in GMO vs the powder.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's come down to who you can trust, once you start messing with the old mother nature, sometimes it takes years for devastating conditions show up.
No thanks, I'm sticking with heirlooms for the most part. Plant more than you need, you might lose some to bugs, you may lose some to disease or even the weather can nix them but usually there will be enough left for you. Keep seed from these, over the years they will become acclimatized to your location and also build up their own immune systems.
Welcome Bea:).

Annette
Agree, who do you trust? Keeping successful varieties in your area is huge-unless you believe in abilities of F1’s. My favorite sweet corns and tomatoes are F1’s- for flavor and production.
Working in AG, I see the good, bad & BS.
Organic grown has the highest mold, toxin levels in food industry, makes sense when you think about it.
USA citizens are unhealthy due to intake of excess sugars, starches and salt-not to mention gluttony.

Latest posts