Seasonal Decor transitioning from fall to winter now ..

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wanted to participate in the previous decorations thread but opted out early because really I am not a Christian and do not really celebrate Christmas ..let's gather and share ways to keep your garden.....your home ... beautiful and relevant ..especially during the late fall early winter

This thread idea was a good one ..please can we keep the thoughts on topic and going? I selfishly need and want genuine ideas on how to keep beauty and interest year around ...

for those who enjoy the seasons and love to decorate accordingly here is our thread I guess Christmas lights and all please share ..in fact I was wondering about LED battery op lights how are they? do you use them? like them?

what do you do in the winter other than just let it snow (mama nature makes the best decore I think) ..to make your yards a continued pleasure ..

I want to spruce up my place ..make it look beautiful in Western Washington that is not an easy task we do not get the blanket of snow to cover up out messes and we have lovely windstorms that do some crazy decorating for us!!!

and this year yes I do want to try to participate and enjoy some of the holidays ..

so please share creative ways to make your yard look like a winder wonderland

pictures too ..

one thing I did was create a moon garden I planted lots of sliver plants there ..so during the harvest moon and any full moons and especially when it snows this one little garden with a water spot in the middle just glows ..this year I am going to hand some silver origami snow flakes and cranes around them
anyone have any ideas on how I can make silver origami paper waterproof???

Happy holidays and may you have a beautiful winter

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow Heidi,

What a lovely description! I do want to see this even if the camera's eye cannot see it quite like you do!

My suggestion on the Origami is to not use paper at all but to get some Heavy Duty Aluminum foil! You might also find Brass Foil works well too because that has Brass color on one side and the aluminum/silver on the other. This should make for some interesting folds!

Crafts supply even sells a heavier roll sold in a tube. My last roll was only $12 for about 10 ft.

Here is what I made with my brass foil last year

14nguj9.jpg

I used a parchment paper on one side of the brass and found homes for all my old teacups. I had such fun that I eventually went out to all the thrift stores looking for more! LOL

Ron

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PERFECT!!! those are just too cute for words!!!! my husband has some kind of soft metals I bet in his pile

and just heavy silver foil would be great!

how fun!

ok now I see foil origami flowers as well in the garden :)

we have not been able to capture the moon garden with our camera's it is so pretty I wish I could! anyone have any suggestions on that?

it just glows a sweet silver glow I can not even explain

anyone else have a moon garden?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Since I grew up Christian and respect traditions of many, I celebrate the season with my still Christian family, I enjoy Christmas decorations, too. Yule is my seasonal celebration, the return of the light, all of it makes me think of my father, who is gone, how much he enjoyed the season and the tradition - this is a rambling post, isn't it?

My living room is filled to the gills with bee stuff, honey for sale, etc. I don't know if I'll put up the tree this year, we'll see. I do have some nice electric candles, I'll put them in the window and take a picture for you all later on in December.

My celebration is making Christmas cookies. I get my nieces and now a grand-niece together and we bake all kinds of cookies. Given the limited budget we're working with this season, cookies will be the gift for many on my list - and honey!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was only 1 Christian in my immediate family - my Mom, and she has been gone for a few years now. Still, it is a good thing for families to find some joy, warmth and light as winter settles down around us.

I think this is especially true for those of us like HiD (and me ;)) who live where there's not much winter daylight. And, a "moon garden" makes a great deal of sense for summer and winter! What have you got in that garden, HiD? Lunaria?

Just as the sun rides so low on the southern horizon at this time of the year -- the moon is very, very high in the night sky :D.

The lunaria seed pods not only look like little moons but they reflect the light well. They grow like "weeds" around here and I have to pull out most of the volunteers. And, the seed pods don't last into the autumn but are blown apart before then. If cut at the right time and dried, lunaria may make useful outdoor decorations later in the year - I don't know. I've dried them but never moved them farther out into the yard than in a wreath on the front porch.

There is a rather coarse vine around here - more of a rambler that you may have to fight with to keep it out of your yard. I know of one large plant at a dead end of a road near one of my gardens. It is easy to gather those and twist them into wreath bases during early autumn. Of course, grape vines work fine for this and I suspect that weeping willow may also.

Someone with artistic talents could use material like this to make figures for the yard. To make a wreath, you simply start with thin wire and "trap" bunches of your dry or fresh plant material against the wreath base as your wrap the wire around it.

I've made evergreen wreaths and one simple rule of thumb for making pretty ones easily is just to have a wide assortment of material to include. Cedar, pine, hemlock, holly, salal, and others - it doesn't take much of any one so gathering a little off landscape plantings shouldn't hurt the looks of the yard. Even using some interesting branches from deciduous trees could add to a wreath. Probably some lighting on or within something like this would add interest during those long dark afternoons.

Steve
who noted to his son, who lives in a more "southerly latitude" (Minneapolis), that a 5 1/2 foot post in my backyard had a 14 foot shadow at 1pm on the day after Thanksgiving . . . . :rolleyes:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Ron! Those roses are amazing! Can you show us a picture looking down on top?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I have a picture. There is only one left in the house but my camera is done-for! (I wore it out on TEG LOL)

This is a pattern that I created myself. I have a 4 inch pattern and this one is considered a 2 inch pattern. The bloom on these little ones is roughly only 2 inches across.

Here is more of a top-side view of one I attached to a stone instead of a teacup. These are copper foil with colored craft paper as a backing. I like the color flashes on these!

sbsnqx.jpg

zlrx5f.jpg

2a4xyeb.jpg

Here is what they looked like moments before! My desk rarely looks so organized! LOL :gig
2cdbh4k.jpg

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
for those who enjoy the seasons and love to decorate accordingly here is our thread I guess Christmas lights and all please share ..in fact I was wondering about LED battery op lights how are they? do you use them? like them?
I just bought 2 strings of Phillips brand LED battery operated lights. So far, I'm pretty satisfied with them, although it's only been a few days. They seem to be a lot better made than battery powered lights in the past, although they do use 4 AA batteries for a 7' string. I'm hoping those batteries last a good long while. They were 6.99 a piece from Target.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ron -- W*O*W! :ep They look so real! Are they hard to cut out? What do you use, scissors?

Latest posts