second pea crop questions

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH would like to put in a second (actually 3rd pea planting.) 1st planting is done, mowed off and tilled in. We live in central east IA. Zone 4 or 5 (depends on chart!) Is it too late? Where can I find seed this time of summer?

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
they can take frosts and light freezes. Youve got until the date of your first hard freeze, but you need to know how long it will take them to mature. 50 days?
Most of the farm and ranch supply stores will still have seed, sometimes that just keep it in the back so they can display seasonal items. Might be worth a try. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Sunsaver. I will ask at Farm & Fleet as they have put the seed displays away.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I let some of my original peas go to seed and used those (a thought for next year). Looks like pretty good germination. Do I have enough time?? What have I got to lose?? Good luck with your pea experiment!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I meant to goto Tractor supply to look today too. Forgot!

I hope some are still out for a fall planting!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was able to find 3 small packets of seed at Dollar Gener and placed a few dry peas from the 1st crop in wet towel (They sprouted!) So I will be getting a second planting in. I hope we do not get an early killing frost. :fl

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted some telephone pole peas last week. They are doing great! Since my spring pea plantings suck so bad I am doing fall crops of peas from now on. I still have sugar snap pea seeds. Need to get those out today. Our first snow is usually around Halloween, but then we have weeks of really nice weather before we get a hard freeze.

Latest posts