Seed catalog

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I placed an order with Baker Creek. Verde De Taglio Swiss chard, Greyhound cabbage, Early Jersey Wakefield cabbage, King of the North Pepper, Japanese Giant Red Mustard Greens, Stuttgarter onions, Ailsa Craig onions.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just got my Ricter's Herbs two days ago. Some interesting stuff this year, though I still have to use the online one instead (the Seed Zoo isn't listed in the paper catalog)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not grown it, @Gardening with Rabbits but I will bump this back to the top.

I'm curious that your friend would describe this Cucurbita pepo as tasting like white potatoes. Tradewinds says it has "bright orange flesh." It isn't what I would expect from that color description. However, I haven't grown an acorn type for many years. It's because of a garden move.

I was happy with my acorns while I had one garden. Moving to another, I planted them again. They had the oddest flavor! I grew 3 different varieties over 3 years and - gave up.

Other squash tasted fine. What I'm thinking is that your friend's garden may well produce squash that are different from the catalog description ... altho Tw didn't describe the flavor Burpee attests to it tasting like "sweet potatoes," which would be more as expected.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not grown it, @Gardening with Rabbits but I will bump this back to the top.

I'm curious that your friend would describe this Cucurbita pepo as tasting like white potatoes. Tradewinds says it has "bright orange flesh." It isn't what I would expect from that color description. However, I haven't grown an acorn type for many years. It's because of a garden move.

I was happy with my acorns while I had one garden. Moving to another, I planted them again. They had the oddest flavor! I grew 3 different varieties over 3 years and - gave up.

Other squash tasted fine. What I'm thinking is that your friend's garden may well produce squash that are different from the catalog description ... altho Tw didn't describe the flavor Burpee attests to it tasting like "sweet potatoes," which would be more as expected.

Steve

Well, I had all that wrong. She said like mashed sweet potatoes, but not as strong potato flavor, so I asked then a squash flavor? She said just good, so I am going to try it. I have not had good luck with winter squash, but I did with Delicata and really like them, but trying to cut them is something else. I may grow a couple of those this year.

Latest posts