Seed catalogs and garden planning

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
desertcat, I have the same heat as you do, but mine is dripping humidity. I have limited space, so I get a few of this, a few of that and some of those over there. I quit my job in March to care for my mom and now I have much more time to spend in the garden. Last spring, I planted new potatoes for the first time in years. I was delighted with the results.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33864

Then I planted sweet potatoes in that same spot and they ran riot all summer and thrived in the heat.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33974

And the crowning achievement for the summer was the green beans.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33860

In years past, I grabbed plants for much of my garden at the feed store or at Walmart because I didn't have the time for coaxing seedlings out of the ground. This year I have overloaded myself with seeds of all kinds of stuff. :lol: I have no idea where I will plant all this, but I am sure I will have fun with it.

In September I planted Purple of Sciliy cauliflower which is looking good, but no heads yet. I planted Calabrese broccoli and the first heads are ready to cut, and I planted Giant Red mustard, which is purple and delicious. I also planted purple globe turnips and a lettuce mix, all from seed and all from Baker Creek.

I have ordered several varieties of squash, to see which one I like the best and what grows the best here. One of them is Trombonicino and I am excited about that one. I ordered Violet's Multicolored Butterbeans which are colorful and I can't wait to get them in the ground. I will have to shift the green bean garden toward the house about 10 feet. :) Just for fun, I ordered some naturally colored green cotton. Have no idea what I will do with it, but I wanted to show my 5 year old grand daughter where cotton clothing comes from. I planted a row of cotton when my kids were little and made them chop weeds in the hot summer sun :lol: and then they got to pick it! They hated the weed chopping part, but got a big bang out of playing with the cotton and took it to school for show-and-tell!

One of the favorites here is Jimmy Nardello peppers. They ripen to red and are sweet and tasty. Regular bananna peppers pale in comparison. I am going to try corn this year. I really don't have room for it, but I'm gonna do it anyway. I'll plant 4 rows real close together and let the butterbeans climb up them!

Just try different things and see what works for you. Keep the successes, dump the failures. :rainbow-sun

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Finished combing though the catalogs last night and think (hope) I've gotten a plan. Went out to the garden this afternoon to see if the "paper" plan would fit the space available. I may have a real mess about July, but it will darn sure cut down on the weeding!

On a side note, got a cold frame engineered by the south facing brick wall and will start some greens in a few days. Oooo, really fresh food :clap

Latest posts