seed catalogs

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm starting to pick out what I want to plant in my garden this year. I want to know what seed companies you all use? I have only looked through the Burpees catalog so far, but some of their seeds are kind of expensive. I am not looking for the cheapest, but I want a good company with descent prices. So, who do you use?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
try looking through PineTree. i noticed their seed packs were quite full of seeds for decent prices @ $1 to $2 per packs with loads of seeds. Hoodat would probably recommend the Sample Seed since they give you some different types of seeds in small packages. i haven't ordered from this one yet. there are a few threads that had been started recently about all the different catalogs we've been receiving since end of November. you might want to check for those and see what other catalogs are out there besides Burpee.

eta: here's the most recent thread with different companies out there. http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32509

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah it is hard to find a good company. This year I ordered from www.Anniesheirloomseeds.com. I have been very happy with them so far. They have awesome communication and I like their "favorites and collections" and the only carry heirloom unaltered seeds. The link that Chickie'sMomma posted is a really good thread. First you have to decide what you want from your seed company (ie. cost, variety, heirloom/hybrid) and then read why everyone likes the company they like and see if you can find a good match. I have had 2-3 companies that I've had bad service from but I usually don't post their names unless someone names them first.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I like Stokes. They're a helpful company, and they have a massive variety that will put all other seed-lists to shame. Hundreds of varieties of almost everything! Lindenburg has alot of seeds, too, and they're the only seedhouse I can think of that is still shipping perishables (bulbs, roots, potted plants). Heritage Harvest is a great little company, with many varieties that you can be assured will reproduce themselves. Terra Edibles doesn't have much selection, but they have good quality seeds, and sell seedlings as well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, ha, Detlor Poultry! Now we know where Hastings is! Those are Canadian companies . . .

My grandfather was from the London/Hamilton area ;).

Yes, I also like Stokes. It was once a US company, did you know that? Probably a long time before you and I came along. I appreciate that Stokes makes their products available to us and it is between Johnny's and Stokes who gets most of my seed orders.

Anna, sometimes the lower cost companies don't have websites that are quite as slick as some of the others. Often, their catalogs aren't slick, either :rolleyes:. Take a look at Fedco. I think they've got good prices and, slick - they ain't :cool:.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just got my seeds from ParkSeed today... THRILLED! I got such a good deal and lots of seeds to boot!

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I ordered all of mine from Burpee and got $10 off my order, free shipping, and a free bag of organic fertilizer! I was happy with their seeds the last time I bought them

lillie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi I like to order from Johnny's Seeds and Seed Savers Exchange. SSE especially for my heirloom tomatoes ;) Have been using both for years and they are outstanding for quality and customer service.

Latest posts