Seed ID From Birdfood

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy, even with black oil sunflower seed, you may not see any gold finches this winter. Their coloring changes, and to most people they are indistinguishable from other small birds. But if you continue to feed during the winter, around Mother's Day, you will be rewarded by many bright gold finches. They seem to suddenly turn yellow, but in fact, it takes a while, just unnoticed by most of us. They group together in late spring, too, and seem to travel together, so the effect of them at your feeder is more dramatic.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll check this ...

Okay, "American Goldfinches are the only finch that molts its body feathers twice a year, once in late winter and again in late summer. The brightening yellow of male goldfinches each spring is one welcome mark of approaching warm months." Cornell

"After the autumn molt, the bright summer feathers are replaced by duller plumage, becoming buff below and olive-brown above, with a pale yellow face and bib. The autumn plumage is almost identical in both sexes, but the male has yellow shoulder patches.[20] In some winter ranges, the goldfinches lose all traces of yellow..." Wikipedia

As best as I can figure it, the Goldfinch hangs around with Pine Siskins. About the only way I distinguish Pine Siskins is that they will get in a little, dense pine tree, no taller than a person. If you are quiet, you can walk right around that little tree with the male singing all the while. ... other than that, he's just a little brown bird.

To add to the bird confusion, we have Brewer's Sparrows here. This is Cornell again: "Brewer’s Sparrows are at first glance so subtly marked that they’ve been called the 'bird without a field mark.'"

Lady Bird Johnson, or someone, named all these birds "little brown jobs." LBJs

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far birds I spotted using feeder Cedar Waxwing, White Breasted Nuthatch, House Sparrow,and Black Capped Chickadee

Cedar Waxwings are beautiful, had them at the old place a lot. around here we have had Bohemian Waxwings briefly, they are also very pretty. The Waxwings always look so well groomed with that tight smooth plumage.
Nuthatches and chickadees are constants year round at my feeders, and some of my favorites. :)

Latest posts