Seed Lot found, any good?

modern_pioneer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I lost some seeds last year, 11 packs :( I had to replace, when I was cleaning my chest I found they had fallen behind it. The chest is used to store my garden stuff.

Damp area, never below 50 degrees F no mold or any signs of being wet.

What is your opinion if there are still good? Seed were to be used 2009.

TUIA

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, I have some 2007 and 2006 stuff actually germinating! got for it... should be good if they're not damp.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Seeds can last a few years under the right conditions, just plant extra if you are worried about germination.
I highly doubt they will be a dud, just a little less germination.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
pretend they are new and plant them

I have collard green kale and scarlet runners that are very old and still have no problems germinating them

old seeds do fine! seriously I dont worry about the age I just plant them ..

you can kind of tell if they are dead they smell flat and look dead

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I agree too. I've had some success with seeds from 1995. DH got a bag full from a sale last year, so I tossed em in the garden not expecting anything and I was really surprised to see so much come up. There were beets, turnips, radishes, carrots, kohlirabi, green beans (asian variety). Total was probably around 10-20% but for 14yo seed-I'd say that was pretty good. In fact I still have some herb seed and will be trying these this year. Even if I only get 1 or 2 to sprout and grow I count it as success.

If you are still unsure, test for germination. Put a few seeds in a folded damp paper towel in a plastic baggy in your window sill. Start checking after a week and every few days thereafter. I've found they will usually start to sprout within that first week and more will sprout after that. If you don't have any sprouts after 3-4 weeks time, I'd say they are no good. This test may vary with variety of seed used so try a few of different types-root/cool season, vine and upright/warm season.

I don't think you'll have a problem.

Latest posts