Seed Potatoes-Where do you Buy?

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Title is kind of self explanatory, where do you get your seed potatoes from?

I've had some luck getting them from local stores but varieties and amounts are not always the best. I've been looking online, particularly at woodprairie.com but I'm always hesitant to buy from a new site. So any sites you prefer or who have really good prices?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
my best answer is to google...... potato seed for sale

have ordered from these people in the past good variety to order from..

their shipping rate is just like everyone else high

hope this helps

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Cats Critters and Garden :frow . It's been a long time since we have seen you.

Wood Prairie isn't new (it's just on the other side of the continent ;)). I have been looking at seeds online for over 20 years and Wood Prairie might have been selling over the internet all or most of that time. Fedco caught my attention about that time. I buy seed from them most every year - but, not potatoes.

Potato Garden used to be up here in northern Idaho but were bought out, or moved, or something, and are now in Colorado.

Irish Eyes isn't all that far from me but I have only bought potatoes from them a couple of times. I like the selection that is available from these outfits but local garden centers have what often meet our expectations at good prices. DW likes Yukon Gold and that isn't hard to find. Red LaSoda produces well in my garden. If I have an early russet, that's mostly all that is necessary. There were others that are fun to have and they just aren't at hand. Again this year, I'll be thinking seriously about ordering from Irish Eyes.

Steve

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I buy all my seed potatoes from local farm supply store. They always seem to have a good selection, and I don't buy enough for the price to get in the way!!!

THANX RICH

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I buy local also....a garden center that sells organic seed potatoes and has the varieties I prefer. They perform well, so I give them repeat business.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I buy local from a Mom 'n Pop garden store. They have a very limited selection, pretty much only Red Pontiac, Kinnebec, and Yukon Gold, but these work well for me. That's why they are standards. The cost is about $0.35 per pound. Last time I checked seed potatoes over the internet were closer to $3.50 per pound, hipping not included. That was a few years back.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I buy from a local farm store also, unless they don't have what I want. Then I'll check out Atwoods or Tractor Supply.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Title is kind of self explanatory, where do you get your seed potatoes from?

I've had some luck getting them from local stores but varieties and amounts are not always the best. I've been looking online, particularly at woodprairie.com but I'm always hesitant to buy from a new site. So any sites you prefer or who have really good prices?
Although you could plant some potatoes and make them grow into plants, it is not recommended for two reasons that you try growing potatoes from the grocery store. ... This is why use of disease-free seed potatoes is so critical. Which means purchasing certified seed potatoes, not supermarket potatoes

Latest posts