Seed Potatoes

rmonge00

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a bunch of little potatoes left over in my cellar from last years crop. They have been kept dry so they are not moldy and they haven't got any eyes yet either.... Can I use these like I would seed potatoes and plant them or is there something different about the seed potatoes that you buy from the nursery?

Thanks for the advice....

Ryan

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
rmonge00 said:
I have a bunch of little potatoes left over in my cellar from last years crop. They have been kept dry so they are not moldy and they haven't got any eyes yet either.... Can I use these like I would seed potatoes and plant them or is there something different about the seed potatoes that you buy from the nursery?

Ryan
Plant them. You could move them to a warm dark area first so the eyes will start forming.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might want to read this article, especially the part about physiological age. You might want to test sprout them, if they will sprout, and see what their "physiologocal age" is. I've seen that "potato no top" with some of my stored potatoes.

If they sprout and look OK, they should do OK as seed potatoes. I don't have conditions to store them right so I don't use mine as seed potatoes. They are about $0.50 a pound at the gardening store.

http://umaine.edu/publications/2412e/

The seed potatoes from the store may have been treated with chemicals to break their dormancy. I would not eat them.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
rmonge00 said:

Ryan
Plant them. You could move them to a warm dark area first so the eyes will start forming.
My leftovers are sprouting already.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
rmonge00 said:
. . . is there something different about the seed potatoes that you buy from the nursery?

Ryan
There is a difference, Ryan.

Some gardeners wouldn't even consider using something other than certified seed potatoes. In some states, it would be illegal: "Purchasing and using certified potato seed tubers is the law. It's also the first step in ensuring the most vigorous, high yielding crop. In Idaho, all potato tubers sold for planting on farms and in gardens must be inspected and certified to be relatively free of disease."

Oregon State University says that farmers growing seed potatoes are in for a "white knuckle ride" because they never know until late winter if the previous year's crop will be certified.

Of course, gardeners and farmers using seed tubers from their own Irish potatoes goes back many, many generations before there were certification programs. But, here is a little of what it involves these days:

OSU, seed potato propagation

Steve

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you grew them last year and they still look good you could put them in a brown bag in a warm location and they will sprout...If you got them from the supermarkt I wouldnt bother