Seed Potatoes

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So, my garden surprised me by not being frozen yesterday and that means its time for seed potatoes.

I have red, white, and purple being prepared to go in the ground this weekend. I may try for a second planting in about 2 weeks. I also have some russets on order.

When I was cutting my potatoes up around the eyes, I found the below in two potatoes. Should I avoid planting them or is just a fluke?
8974630D-6CF5-4435-98BF-12BB35CBEBCB.jpeg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's called 'hollow heart'. It's totally fine to plant them or eat them. Different potato types have various susceptibility levels to it, it's brought on mainly by uneven watering. I've gotten a few like that in years when it's super hot and I can't keep up with the watering as much as the plants need. What kind of potatoes are they?

Here's a link for it

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's called 'hollow heart'. It's totally fine to plant them or eat them. Different potato types have various susceptibility levels to it, it's brought on mainly by uneven watering. I've gotten a few like that in years when it's super hot and I can't keep up with the watering as much as the plants need. What kind of potatoes are they?

Here's a link for it
Thats what I thought I remembered. I did a lot of reading this winter and if it had been actual rot, then I would have to be concerned. I remember reading about hollow hearts, but couldn’t remember the particulars.