Seed Saver Question...

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We save most of our seeds.

The plants we grew from our own gypsy peppers were very prolific and the peppers were great. some had obviously cross polinated with bell peppers, but most came true.

We also regularly save our pumkin seeds. We usually get good results and the occasional odd ball is welcome. This year we never got around to planting any pumkins and we let the volunteers that came up grow instead. We ended up with a small but nice crop of green pumkins, which I like for cooking.

I save the seeds from those tomatoes that i bring in the house and that I like special. We ended up with a particularly flavorfull and nice sized purple tomatoe this year. So I made a point of saving the seeds. I also take a photo of the tomato next to something like a lemon or an egg, so I have a size comparison for future reference.

We occasionally bag flower to prevent cross polination, but usually we let mother nature do her job.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I didn't get around to planting any pumpkins, either, this year. I had kept a pumpkin from Halloween at the office, and in March it finally started to rot. SOOOO, I gave it to my horses to eat. Which they did. Then, they planted 6 plants in their pasture, which grew about 1 dozen pumpkins, which they promptly ate. So the cycle continues. "My horses, my gardeners" instead of the somewhat famous, "My horses, My teachers"!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too funny! I didn't know horses would eat pumpkins... I will have to offer mine one. Of course, he's so finicky though, I can't even get him to eat a carrot! I imagine the pumpkins really appreciate the extra "fertilizer"!

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I buy some and I save some every year. But without bagging or any extra treatment and the only problem I've had so far with saved seed is with the carrots. I've always grown Danvers because of the hard soil and being an op variety for seed saving. One year I planted my saved seed and a packet of purchased seed at opposite ends of the garden and they all came up with white roots. Our backyard is enclosed with a 6ft fence and no queen anne's lace anywhere in the neighborhood. I could almost understand my saved seed reverting, but was completely lost about the purchased seed that was planted far enough away (50ft) and with other taller veggies(corn, beans, tomatoes, cukes, etc,etc) in between. With all that between, there shouldn't have been any crossing.

I've noticed in the last few years of gardening that even puchased seeds haven't always been what's on the package or not true. I've had the "white" carrots mentioned above, Golden Bantam (supposed to be 5' to 6' ft with 2 ears per stalk)corn that grew 8' to 12' stalks with no ears whatsoever (more like broomcorn or ornamental-stalks only), zucchini from pumpkin seed, acorn squash that was yellow/grey and one packet of seed (gourd I think) that gave me pumpkin, gourd, AND spaghetti x. Has anyone else noticed this happening or is it just me?

colin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello

Seed saving is not always feasible with all types of vegetables, but collecting your own seed can be an exercise in self-sufficiency and a lesson in plant biology. Seeds you save from your home production system are accustomed to your climate and growing medium and are adapted to pests in your area. Seeds are generally saved from annual and biennial plants. Perennials are usually propagated through division or cuttings.
The easiest seeds to save are open-pollinating, non-hybrid annuals. Plants that are not self-pollinating can cross-pollinate; therefore, it is best to grow only one variety of a plant from which you want to save seed that season. If two varieties of spinach bloom near each other, the resultant seed is likely to be a cross between the two. Different varieties of peppers should be separated by 500 feet to avoid cross-pollination. Melons, pumpkins, cucumbers, and squash need even more personal space--at least a half-mile is required.
Biennials require more work and commitment. These plants do not send up seed stalks until the second season. Biennials include beets, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, onions, parsley, parsnips, rutabaga, salsify, Swiss chard, and turnips.
Do not save seed from hybrid varieties if you want plants like the parents. Seeds from hybrid varieties produce a mix of offspring, many of which may have different characteristics than the parent. Seed from hybrid vine crops is often quite variable also - squashes, cucumbers, melons and pumpkins often cross-pollinate with other genetically compatible varieties. Unless pollination has been strictly controlled, strange hybrids often result in the next generation.

Have a nice day

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Joe, I'd love a copy of the file- I'm trying to get organized with seeds!!
I'll PM you with my email (assuming that's ok :)

injunjoe said:
I don't know any books but if you like I can share a seed collecting/trading program with you.

It is a database program that you can add a picture too and all the info and save.
It helps you trade over many forums and keeps all of your info for you!
Like dates, amount of seed you have, were it came from, notes about it, names and nicknames, addresses, just a bunch of useful info.

I am in the process of getting all these envelopes off my desk and into my new database! I think it will even print shipping labels for you!

I don't want to post the forum were I found it at. I don't think that is right. But I am willing to share it with others.

It is a zip. file and is spy-free!

Joe

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NurseNettie said:
Joe, I'd love a copy of the file- I'm trying to get organized with seeds!!
I'll PM you with my email (assuming that's ok :)
It should be in your inbox my friend. Just unzip and run the setup file.
I hope you enjoy it.

Joe

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a copy of "Seed to Seed" (publication put out by "The Seed Saver's Exchange") and think it has the most complete info on the subject....even though it can get a little bit too technical for the average gardener...but , if you side-step those parts, you can learn a lot about how to save seeds, successfully.
And all info, in the book, was gleaned from 'first hand' experimentation and experience by the author and the Seed Saver's Exchange over several years.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Regarding: Sweet Corn Seed Saving
I've decided to dry out the rest of my sweet corn harvest. Has anybody done this before? Right now, I've left them in their husks, but drying in the wheelbarrow along with my harvested potatoes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have only saved seed from ornamental corn, Ducks.

I stripped back the husks but left them on the ears.
Tied small bunches of ears together by their husks.
Hung them in the carport.

Steve

Latest posts