Seed Search

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I decided that I wouldn't procrastinate on seed orders this year. That meant that I would have things done "On Time" instead of at a "comfortable time," and then trusting the promptness that the seed companies that I have dealt with have shown in the past.

One reason is because I see the concern some have expressed about seed shortages. Okay. This could be because varieties and sources become popular and waves of customers drift one way or another in any season and for any product. And, there may be shortages. There may also be labor shortages. Gardening has sometimes been noted as the #1 hobby in the US. I've wondered if that was true but suspect it's more likely true these days. I have certainly seen a number of small seed company startups in recent years, with the advent of the internet. Seems like varieties can be searched out, located, and orders should be able to be filled.

Well in 2021 - there's a lot of "sorry for any inconvenience" statements on seed company websites. Also, I'm wondering where catalogs that I usually receive in January have gotten to. Sure, there was the usual flurry of early catalogs, well before Christmas. Some are always kinda late but I'm thinking that some seed outfits are having some problems even getting their offerings out before the public. Also, there may have been some variety availability glitches.

You know, 30 years ago there was an acknowledgement that much of the hybridizing was being done in East Africa. We have watched that labor intensive work being done more and more in China. Lately, there has been some new trade restrictions between the US and China. I wonder if that isn't effecting hybrid availability. Still, an outfit like Southern Exposure doesn't deal in hybrids but when you show up on their website, you see the damnedest thing. They are suggesting other companies for your seed purchases. Wow!

I wanted to keep the 2021 seed sources down to a bare minimum. I've dealt with lots of companies in the past. Also, there have been a few new ones that I have seen really expanding their line-up over recent years. It's exciting and I've been willing to try these new guys. After sorting out a primary source, I've been trying to fill the gaps, sometimes unexpected. It's been tough!

My advice --- Don't procrastinate in 2021. If the catalog is late, search the websites. If there aren't many packages on the garden center racks, haunt 'em! Stop by repeatedly to see what new shipments have come in. Go looking for what you want. Be flexible and do some research. Find what you need and what will be fun for the growing season.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well in 2021 - there's a lot of "sorry for any inconvenience" statements on seed company websites. Also, I'm wondering where catalogs that I usually receive in January have gotten to. Sure, there was the usual flurry of early catalogs, well before Christmas. Some are always kinda late but I'm thinking that some seed outfits are having some problems even getting their offerings out before the public. Also, there may have been some variety availability glitches.
Last year, at least catalogs (the few that I still order from) came on time. But once the Covid restrictions began & empty shelves appeared in supermarkets, there was a sudden surge of interest in gardening - and seed stocks for many things were quickly depleted. That increased demand has continued into this year, and thus far, most seed companies apparently have been unable to adjust. One of the catalogs I order from most frequently (Burrell) only arrived yesterday - it should have arrived in December. Fortunately, because they sell seed in bulk, they are less likely to run out.

Which brings up a point. When searching for a particular vegetable, if there is a company selling seed that sells to both gardeners & farmers, they might be the best choice. The demand for garden seed has increased because of the pandemic; but the demand for farm seed has likely not changed, or even decreased due to restaurant closures. So companies that do both retail and wholesale/bulk will likely be our most reliable seed sources this year.

As someone who grows most of their own seed, I seldom recommend a seed company... but if that is permitted here, I would vouch for Burrell. Their selection is focused mainly on commercial growers, so mostly market standards (not much in the way of heirlooms) but for what they carry, shipping is free for quantities less than 1/2 pound. Been ordering sweet corn, chard, and peas from them for more than 20 years, and their seed & customer service has been consistently excellent.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i'm also going to point out again that if you can find local seed libraries or seed swaps now or this coming spring plan on visiting them (safely!).

for me that is the most preferred way of distributing anything i grow since it means i don't have to pay postage or ship anything.

if anyone is within driving distance of me i'll gladly share whatever seeds i have - we can figure out how to do this, it isn't rocket science.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Labor shortages are what farmers will often talk about when they comment on their business difficulties. Have you thought how gardeners are the labor that drifted off several generations ago and may now be a proportion of the "ag workers?"

We aren't quite the farmers our grandparents were. I've heard the stories about the growing of alfalfa but I have also heard about my grandfather going off with the team and doing off-farm work. Makes me wonder about how much of that alfalfa was for "fuel" and how much was a cash crop.

And with 7 kids ... And the other grandparents with 9 !!! Those "social security" arrangements for the old folks and "farm labor" systems required a lot of "fuel" themselves. Seems to have worked - maybe not very well but sustainably.

I was kinda humored watching a teevee program last night. The setting was an agricultural area of California and a winery. The owner was a Mexican American guy who was 12 when World War 2 started and he arrived from Mexico to do farm work. Interesting how the deportation program was going on at the same time ... Talk of raising the minimum wage these days. Exception has always been made for farm labor.

The economy and its complexity will evolve, there is no doubt. I question the evolution and certainly the value of a return to systems 100 years past. Let's go for the Dissipation angle to Devolution. I hope that gardeners can better learn productive skills. Really, I know that they can. There is magic in a seed but there is also joy in successful labor. Just anticipating success will encourage learning. You have to have some idea of what you are looking at but sometimes I think that 90% of successful gardening is just paying attention.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... There is magic in a seed but there is also joy in successful labor. Just anticipating success will encourage learning. You have to have some idea of what you are looking at but sometimes I think that 90% of successful gardening is just paying attention.

Steve

diversity in plantings is a good part of success here so that means a good diversity in seeds and plants.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I have a tendency to over order, I have lots of seed. I began the program last year of planting the excess, the old seed. I have seed I saved. I think I’m good on seed this year. I need to get it out and see if there is any gaps, but I don’t think so.
I hope people who started gardening keep it up.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The mail carrier brought my first seed order, today.

I remember pestering a seed company 5 or 10 years ago because it took 3 weeks to deliver an order. I told them "how they were doing" by comparison to other outfits that I had ordered from that year. I wasn't saying anything angry in my emails; wasn't asking for them to take time to reply - didn't receive any reply. However, I was impatient because important dates were slipping by and because 3 weeks - Good Grief!!!

Well, it's been a couple days past 3 weeks since this order was made. The USPS did really well, the seed company told me that the package had been shipped on 2/14. Hey. Good On the Postal Service :).

And no, I don't blame the seed company for any tardiness. I hope it won't become the standard but we should be able to make and act on plans. We can't control the start of the growing season but the off season is the "off season." Just a matter of priorities and the calendar.

Steve

Latest posts