1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. This member need landscaping ideas - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Seed starting indoors

Discussion in 'Indoor & Greenhouse Gardening' started by Crealcritter, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Mar 11, 2019
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Yes, they can. And tiny tiny seeds!

2. Mar 11, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    Here is the new Jiffy Grolight setup on top of my fridge. I started a flat of 36 cells, 1/2 broccoli, 1/2 cauliflower on top of a heat mat top shelf in the basement, but they were sprouting despite in the dark with no grow light. The setup has a cord with an on/off switch. Gro light with cauliflower & broccoli seedlings, 03-11-19.jpg Cauliflower & Broccoli seedlings, 03-11-19, #1.jpg Cauliflower & Broccoli seedlings, 03-11-19, #2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    pjn, digitS', Rammy and 2 others like this.
  3. Mar 12, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

So...going through OLD seed packages, and this package was cheap, so it contains older than the package says (2017), and I see this when I opened it up and poured into the carrot seed jar. Looks a LOT like dill.
    Carrot seeds 03-12-19.jpg

4. Mar 20, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

Boy I am NOT a fan anymore of Jiffy Pellets!!! They swell up cockeyed, and my seedlings are either doing great or Dying great in them. Only the sweet peppers in their 72 cell greenhouse (on a heat mat and under a grow light on a 16 hr timer) have done pretty well, as a group. I Think I will go back to a soiless mix, OR, start inside with well composted stall leavings. I have a pile outside from 2017, and I "harvested" a big pot a few weeks ago and have it available. I restarted my tomato seeds in it and They are doing great.
    It is important to me that I do this well bc I am determined to have a good Fall crop of Brussels Sprouts. I have bought and put away about 10 packages of Brussels Sprouts to save until July.
    Any thoughts?

5. Mar 20, 2019
    Rammy

Rammy Deeply Rooted

I gave up.

6. Mar 21, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

That doesn't help!! :hit

7. Mar 24, 2019
    margali

margali Attractive To Bees

Do you think these are big enough to go outside or should I pot into some cups and grow more? The overnight temps are staying in the 40F+ range. IMG_20190323_222857.jpg

8. Mar 24, 2019
    so lucky

so lucky Garden Master

If it were me, @margali, I would transplant in to a little larger pot, planting deep, and take some time to harden them off outside gradually giving more sun.

9. Mar 24, 2019
    thejenx

thejenx Deeply Rooted

This is how I start my seeds indoors, in the windowsill.
    20190320_182406.jpg

10. Mar 24, 2019
    Gardening with Rabbits

Gardening with Rabbits Garden Addicted

In the greenhouse fixed.jpg March 12 greenhouse.jpg March 23 both greenhouses.jpg 004.JPG 003.JPG I start mine inside in a plastic greenhouse bought from Walmart and I bought plant lights and tied to the shelves. Then, I start taking them outside and I used plastic covered structures like the sawhorses DH made for me and now I have a portable plastic greenhouse. I take outside when warm, bring in if cold and then when it is warmer some things like onions and kale stay out all night. Then, then will go outside on the patio in the shade and give a little morning sun and moved to the shade until I think they are ready to take sun all day and then they are hardened off and ready to plant. My tomatoes are always kind of weak looking compared to what I see in the stores, but I have lately been having better luck since taking them outside earlier. I will take a tray, fill with potting soil, make 10 rows, plant different rows of tomatoes, have a tray of peppers like that, kale and when larger I will transplant them to larger cups. The last picture was yesterday, but today I am not going to take them out because it is a lot cooler and cloudy.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    catjac1975 and digitS' like this.