Seed Starting Mix

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
He sure turns out some lovely, thick, deep green mater plants and, once they catch up with the rest of the maters, they do very well...but they tend to lag behind for awhile.

I think you are right...they don't like slummin' in my garden. :D He gets huge truck loads of mushroom mulch deposited on his garden, so it must be a pretty posh place to live.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like Fertilome potting mix, and usually use it. But last year I had to use some Miracle Grow, and I guess it had some fertilizer in it, because the plants did unusually well early on. I don't know if that convinces me to use Miracle Grow or not. It goes against my convictions to use it, but I never said I was stalwart. :hide

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do notice the setback after transplant and I'm painfully conscientious about hardening-off, er try to be.

A 50% jumpstart is what I figure. If the plants are 8 weeks old when they are set out, I figure they have about a month's jump on the season. It might be a day or 2 better than that but I bet much of their young life is spent just sitting around thinkin' "What the heck?"

Steve :\

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've read that the little stutter start of culture shock by young seedling's first experience in the garden can cause them to release chemicals that attract pest bugs. Anyone notice that pests are attracted to their young seedlings more so when first transplanted versus later on? It's an interesting theory.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You mean like flea beetles, @Beekissed ?

Or, slugs!?

Might be but I'm happy if those critters head in a different direction when they smell bug spray.

I don't quite understand why bugs go for the taste of a weakened plant. Some are very bitter if damaged. it's probably okay if I can't quite think like a bug. ... as long as I can gain the upper hand.

Steve
grumpy and vengeful

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use coir to start my daylily seeds. It has increased my germination ten fold over seed starting formula. I think it increases the fungus gnats, however. But I have them mostly under control thanks to Bob's advice. I only use pro-mix for my other seeds. NEVER buy cheap stuff! You will regret it!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My brother only uses store bought...the most expensive he can get his hands on~around $50 a bag...and has this fancy grow light stand that cost him almost $1K, a soil block maker, etc. and he's always amazed at how quickly my tomatoes grow when set in the garden...they surpass his that he has grown three times the size of my seedlings before he actually plants them. His look great and are sturdier looking plants compared to my seedlings but I still have more rapid growth in the garden than he.

I grow mine in weak ol' window light on heating pads, most of them in porcelain wash pans and restaurant meat trays. :D
My plants are always much better than the plants I can buy locally once in the garden.I think the pros over fertilize them and perhaps they are too old when they are sold, so that they look good. No one would buy my seedlings if they bought by looks . But, mine grow like champions in the garden.

Latest posts