seed starting questions....

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I diddnt do to well last winter, though I did get enough tomatoes and peppers. I am really wanting ot do better this year.

My problems: last year I diddnt have enough space or lights, And I hated having the trays sitting everywhere around my kitchen. I am trying to convence DH that we need a light stand, but he wants to go more self sufficient, and not use electricity. A greenhouse is out of the question.

So, should I go with CFLs, and get extra fixtures for them? I still need somewhere to put them all.

Or, I could try a south windowsill. We have upstairs windows that I could build shelves onto, but I still think they will not get enough light and be weak and leggy.

I still want that lightstand.... :lol:

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Try the winter sown method. I have a lot of luck with it. I always have good germination. It is the germination to transplant that I struggle with!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If your indoor growing can be done at fairly low temperatures, that will help with low light situations. By low temperatures, I'm talking about lower than what we usually think of as "room" temperature: 60 to 64F. The plants may need more days to grow to good size for planting out.

I have grown starts very well from start to finish in south windows. One was on a landing in a stairwell and I built a stand with shelves for that vertical window. The other window was in my utility room. Both the stairwell and the utility room were separated from other rooms and doors could be closed to keep them much cooler.

These days, I have a greenhouse. However, seeds are started in containers (sometimes stacked 3 and 4 high) on the top of my refrigerator where they stay about 70F+ thru the night. Those warm temperatures help with germination but I must get the seedlings off the fridge quickly because there's little light.

Once off the fridge, the little plants take up room in the only good south window I have in this home - in a bedroom. It's cooler and they are moved into the greenhouse after a few days. I have set up shelves and even supplemental lights in the window when the schedule gets "bottlenecked" by bad weather.

What I'm saying is that, depending on your circumstances, a south window can certainly work just fine.

Steve

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had my best starter plants even on CFL's last spring. I still have stuff I planted last spring outdoors in pots growing indoors now under the cfl's. I just picked up light fixtures at the thrift store when I could find them.

I only have 1 small window that faces south and there is a garage 4 feet from it. Lights are my only option.

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That is interesting, guys. I am thinking the window will work fine then, we have a lot of good light here, since it is so dry. (colorado) My windows upstairs are definitely cooler then any other place in the house, so I may try that.

I like the idea of getting light fixtures at thrift shops. Do you use a heat lamp type fixture, or just the part in old lamps? I think maybe you could just break out the 'guts' and through the rest away. ????

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
If your indoor growing can be done at fairly low temperatures, that will help with low light situations. By low temperatures, I'm talking about lower than what we usually think of as "room" temperature: 60 to 64F. The plants may need more days to grow to good size for planting out.

I have grown starts very well from start to finish in south windows. One was on a landing in a stairwell and I built a stand with shelves for that vertical window. The other window was in my utility room. Both the stairwell and the utility room were separated from other rooms and doors could be closed to keep them much cooler.

These days, I have a greenhouse. However, seeds are started in containers (sometimes stacked 3 and 4 high) on the top of my refrigerator where they stay about 70F+ thru the night. Those warm temperatures help with germination but I must get the seedlings off the fridge quickly because there's little light.

Once off the fridge, the little plants take up room in the only good south window I have in this home - in a bedroom. It's cooler and they are moved into the greenhouse after a few days. I have set up shelves and even supplemental lights in the window when the schedule gets "bottlenecked" by bad weather.

What I'm saying is that, depending on your circumstances, a south window can certainly work just fine.

Steve
This is really similar to what I do. I have an unheated sunroom with windows facing all but North, and I usually put my seedlings in the sunniest spot in the South-facing side.

Things that require 70 degrees or more to germinate, I start upstairs in a South-facing room that is heated (we use wood heat entirely, so once the dome lid comes off, they can't stay there, too dry). Then they go to the sunroom.

I have had very good success with most flowers and herbs, cucurbits, and my tomatoes did awesome under these conditions.

Peppers did ok, but took much longer to get going because the sunroom gets cold at night. Broccoli was a bit leggy, but did fine once out in the garden.

Cauliflower was a complete flop the two years I tried it. They get way too leggy. I am going to direct sow them into my cold frame this spring and see if that doesn't help.

I am going to buy some 20 watt plant bulbs from Ott Lite to supplement my daylight. They screw into regular lamps and don't use much electricity.

I also want to either heat my sunroom on cold nights with an electric space heater. Or optimally, I would like to have some heat cables under my trays. This would require me to get a bigger table in there though, and set up a little differently, so I will probably try the space heater first because it's easier.

:drool I dream of having a greenhouse.... :love Surely one day. Got too many other priorities to put money into first!

Latest posts