Seed Train 2014

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, there has been quite a bit of interest in a new Seed Train. I think it will be fun to trade seeds with one another, plus clean out our own seed banks. Tell everyone else on TEG so they can play too! If anyone has other rule suggestions, please post your ideas, this is for all of us and we are open to improvements!

These are the rules as posted by Msbear on BYC, who also "borrowed" them.

Rules:

1.) Person A offers a packet of seeds. Packet can contain any number, but please try to send at least 6. Person B likes what is offered and says "I'll take those and in turn offer..." Person C likes those and offers another packet of seeds.

2.) To qualify for accepting an offer, you need to post what you are offering in return in the same post.

3.) When each trade is posted, please pm or email the person who offered the seeds and work out the shipping arrangements.

4.) The person receiving the seeds will pay no shipping because the person who sends them will have received their seeds without paying shipping as well. Shipping should be less on these than on the egg swaps, because the weight and packaging is so much less. This will keep the thread moving along without a lot of complications.

5.) Try to be as specific as possible about the seeds. If you know the zones where they grow, list 'em. If you know for a fact the seeds grew in your garden last year, list where you are

6) Seeds do not need to be heritage/heirloom/home-grown. If you have extra seeds from a seed order, go ahead and offer 'em.

(thanks to Shelleyd2008, since I stole her wording for the rules from the Crazy Quail / Gamebird Swap )

I gave credit due for the above rules-I copied them off BYC. Journey11 pointed out another suggestion for listing the year on the seed packet or the year you grew the seeds.

7) If seeds are in a packet, please list the year they are sold for. If you grew them yourself, please list the year grown.

8) Allow a reasonable time line for you to receive your seeds. Sometimes it make a few days for someone to make it to the post office. By the same token, please make every effort to send out your seed as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll start this off.....

Yellow crookneck squash 35 seeds packaged for 2013
Daymon Morgan Kentucky Butcher Corn 32 seeds pkg for 2013
Amarillo carrot 1/2 pkt 2013
tobacco pepper unopened packet 2011
Maestro English peas saved from last year 200 seeds
Giant Red (purple) Mustard 1/2 pkt 2014

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:woot

Hey Bay, I'll take your Red Mustard.

I've got:

Nickel, heirloom white seeded greasy pole bean, saved seed 2013, 50 seeds
Ora's Speckled, heirloom brown speckled greasy cut-short pole bean, saved seed 2013, 50 seeds
Top Crop, bush bean, saved seed 2013, 50 seeds
WV63 tomato, saved seed 2013, 25 seeds
Aunt Molly's ground cherry, saved seed 2013, 25 seeds
Kellogg's Breakfast tomato, saved seed 2013, 25 seeds
Yellow Pear tomato, saved seed 2013, 25 seeds
Abe Lincoln tomato, saved seed 2013, 25 seeds
Black Plum tomato, saved seed 2013, 25 seeds
Purple Russian tomato, saved seed 2013, 25 seeds
Rhonda's Stuffer, large pear-shaped hollow tomato, saved seed 2013, 25 seeds

Last edited:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Journey,

I'll take some of your Ora's Greasy Cutshort Beans.

I have-

New England Pie pumpkin, saved 2013
Rattlesnake Pole Bean, saved 2012
Purple Podded Pole Bean, saved 2012
large-seeded Red Adzuki, obtained from Amish shop 2013 (meant for food, so who knows how old)
"Tudor" Zinnia seeds, packed for 2014
Bottle Gourd seeds (Birdhouse), packed for 2012
Crystal Apple Cuke, packed for 2013
Country Gentleman Corn, (not sure when packed for, shouldn't be more than 3 years old.)
Sunset bean (Scarlet Runner type), saved 2012?
Canellini (Scarlet Runner type), saved 2012?
Chamomile, saved 2013 (I've got tons of this)
Cardinal Flower, saved 2013 (lots of this but very small seed)
Mystery poppy, saved 2013
Pink & Whited Cleome, saved 2013 [still needs stratification (cold period) I think!]
a mystery bean (green, bush? Don't know when saved) 10 seeds

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, Baymule, did you receive my message to you last week about the beans, in which I sent you my address? I just received a message from "Support" at TEG, saying they received the message in error. This is the second time a private message that I sent has gone to "Support" at TEG, or BYC.
Anyone else having this issue?

Latest posts