Seedling - how long?

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i was wondering how long is a plant considered a seedling? can you tell in inches? or days?
i wanted to spray my food garden with some manure tea i made, but was unsure if it will hurt the leaves?
thank you

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would spectulate it is no longer a 'seedling' when it shows 2-3 sets of all true leaves.... and those seed leaves (the word alludes me) have fallen off. I honestly think that is JMO! ;)

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
well thanks, i googled it, wiki'd it, asked jives, and i searched here .. but nothing that answered it .. dictionary just says:
seedling - young plant: a young developing plant that has been grown from a seed ..
i just am so good at killing my plants i dont have enough to 'experiment' with .. thanks ..

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeap, I don't think there is an official definition. Like there isn't with chicks, either -- it amuses me to hear people on BYC talking about their "14 wk old chicks" but then it's not like there is really a hard and fast cutoff is there.

I usually stop calling things seedlings when they reach transplanting size, or when they get big enough in the garden that they don't need lotsa extra attention.

But I'm sure everyone has their own ways of thinking about it, as with the chick thing :p

Pat, to whom once it doesn't need heat anymore it's a "young chicken" moreso than a "chick", especially once it reaches the size where it could in principle be a meal

Latest posts