seeds or plants?

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
do you prefer plants already started or seeds? i got some seeds from walmart and they seem to be doing good and i also got some that were already started. the ones that i started from seeds are doing good and the ones that were already stated aren't doing so well.

so what do you prefer?

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
for me, im totally a beginner and no green thumb here, in the past i bought everything already started, this year, i tried from seed: radish, carrots (2 kinds) and green onion .. i threw down some catnip seed for my cat, but i really am not holding out for that ..

thanks

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Depending on the plant on like one over the other. I always try from seed first... if the seeding fails then I go straight to plant and never bother again.

Some do not do well started outside, but do great inside so I still prefer seed!

:D

Its all personal preference!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I buy seeds. I make sure I get good seeds cause I have had bad germination from places like walmart or lowes. I get seeds from like Parks or SSE. Just Google seeds. These places also let you get more of a variety. Not just the regular cukes and zukes from the market. Although sometimes with Baker and SSE it is just too much to handle.
If I fail at germinating or transplanting or such then I hit the local nursery for plants. This year I had to get all nursery tomatoes.
Overall nursery plants are definately easier but not as much fun as picking a unique veggies that you can't get in the market.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I did plants this year. I have tried seeds three years in a row and I just haven't had luck. It's totally my fault - the first time we put them in the ground in an area that ended up being too shady, the second time I left them outside and they flooded in one of our torrential spring rains, and this past year I kinda put them in a spare room and forgot about them when I went on a trip. Oops.
Next year I will dedicate myself a little more - I want to try some heirlooms and some unique varieties. Now that I have caught the gardening bug and am cultivating my green thumb (it was slightly brown before), I feel like I can be trusted with seeds. :p

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Both.

I usually go for seed, but will buy plants if I've gtten a slow start on sowing.
I got a bundle of tomato plants this year (Rutgers) since I was late as usual. SO far that's the only eating plant I've purchased.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am a first year gardner but I would do seeds over plants. You learn so much that way and they become your true baby not like a step child.

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Everything in my vegetable garden (as well as in my flower gardens) was started from seed. Some was direct sown and others I started inside first. I like growing from seed because it lets me know Exactly what goes into the plants from which I will eat.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I try to grow all my vegetables, flowers, and herbs from seed but sometimes i'll get plants, like for the true Tarragon you have to buy plants.
There's something amazing about growing from seed then just picking up a plant at the nursery.

Latest posts