Seeds were a bust...I'm going to the greenhouse

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I attempted to start my garden from seed this year. Everything was going good, but I don't have enough light for my tomato plants and they are looking pretty bad :/

Peppers are doing okay and the cukes, zukes and eggplants are still to be determined. Oh well, can't say I didn't try :hu

Now I need to focus on adding my raised-veggie beds, for my greenhouse/store bought plants ;)

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's frustrating, but it happens. Every year, it seems like one type of plant I start doesn't make it to the garden. Last year it was pepper, the year before it was watermelon. Just got to learn from your mistakes & keep trying! :happy_flower

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It can happen... starting from seed is hard to get going, but once you know what you did wrong you can correct it for the following year. Its so much more cost effective from seed. :D

But don't give up... keep it up! ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
August, sorry to hear about your frustration. It might not be too late, why not try hardening off the tomatoes outside and see if they will perk up. Could you plant them in the ground now? Or is it still too early for you?? Don't feel bad if it doesn't work- now for next year, you know you need some kind of grow light... We live and learn!! Happy Gardening!

Andy J

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I know what you mean,Augustmomx2.I try to start my plants from seed,also.This winter in Mississippi was unusually harsh and I only salvaged a few plants from my seed,after 3 startings.I'm going to have to build something to start seeds or get some growing lights indoors.

I refuse to pay $3 for 9 lettuce,broccoli, or cabbage plants.Tomatoes,peppers and eggplant are $3.49 for 9 plants.Or,you can get 8" plants for $3.49 each.They will sell you single okra,cucumbers,squash,or watermelon plants for $.99 each.Strawberryplants are $4.49 each.People are standing in line to buy them.I ain't going to do it!!!

Andy J

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't feel bad - I only got a few tomatoes I started from seeds - a few Brandywine and one Creole so I had to made a trip to the nursery. I'm going to try again in July to have fall crop.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you this year. At least you tried! :hugs

Hey, try Walmart for a fluorescent shop light--I paid about $15 for the fixture and $3 for the bulbs. I invested in 3 sets, and wow what a difference they make! The cool daylight type bulbs worked better than the warm. I hung mine from the ceiling and you can use the chains it comes with to adjust for the height of the plants. Such an improvement in the health of my seedlings over last year!

Also too, a seedling that has been struggling to come along in the flats may perk right up once they get out in the garden with the right soil temp and daylight, so maybe all is not lost?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me, the best, most reliable way to start seeds is in a cold frame. Nothing fancy- just a box with a window on top. I have squashes, cukes, melons, pumpkins, cabbage, brussel sprouts and tons of flowers growing right now in the frames. They are exposed to sunlight, and weather conditions like light rain, wind, etc. So, when the frost scare is over- into the garden they go. Now, in zone 4, I can't start peppers or tomatoes. We just don't get warm enough. So, they are inside under the lights...don't give up!!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have tried and tried to start seeds and it seems like I can start them but the caring for them is where I go wrong. Life always catches up with me. The kids get sick, work needs overtime,.... life.

But I have decided that nursery plants are not that bad. Sure they are more expensive. But they are all taken care of and I didn't have to worry about them. So I save some time and worry and spend some money. And if you taking cutting of your tomatoes, basil, and other things like that you can have a few plants for the price of one.

I know others have had problems with nursury plants but most of mine have been fine. I also like to shop and my local nursury verses the big box stores. That way the money stays here. And if you order plants on the internet like I did from Abundant Acres you can still get the krazy variety of plants that you would from seed.

Latest posts