Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend on BYH asked about Sentry this morning. My answer;

He healed up and is able to go hang out with the other dogs and guard sheep. He runs, plays, but is definitely crippled. He rests the leg when standing and it just sorta dangles. His other hip joint is bad too, but I'm thinking that if we have it operated on, he won't have a good leg to stand on. We didn't have his shoulders x-rayed, but I think they are also compromised. Just watching his gait, the way he stands and the way he struggles to stand from laying down, this poor dog truly is a train wreck.

In the meantime, he loves me with all his heart and then some. He follows me, keeps me in his line of sight and lays at my feet at night in the living room. He watches the sheep, he runs the front fence with the other dogs, chasing off garbage trucks, kids on bikes, truck and trailers, motorcycles and other monsters that threaten the Dog Kingdom. He is a happy dog.

I have been observing him closely. In my opinion, his skeletal structure is so bad, that no amount of "fixing it" will ever make him right. The operation he had bought him some time. Literally it bought time for him and for us to love him. I would do the same thing in a heartbeat. I will not put him through another surgery.

He spends the night on a dog bed on the screened in porch, it is where he chooses to be. He and Carson eat in the kitchen, BJ feeds the dogs. By evening, he is exhausted. Living life at full speed takes a lot out of a compromised dog, but I won't take that away from him. He is sleeping on the porch now, waiting on me to go outside and do chores. I don't allow the dogs in with the horses, mainly because Prince likes to play and would probably hurt them. Prince is such a butt...… If he were to kick Sentry, it would more than likely be life ending. Sentry, true to his name, waits patiently at the gate until I come back out. I've been letting Joe and Pearl graze the yard and Sentry follows them, guarding them, especially Joe.

I passionately love this dog and it is slowly tearing me apart to have to come to the decision to not "save" him, but quietly and lovingly let him go when the time comes. I will not prolong his agony. I watch him go about his daily life, being a dog and living his life to the fullest. I do not regret the first surgery, but there will not be another one.

i had to put sad face there, but there is also one of love and like too. i'm so sorry though for this, but can we really say how this will go? sometimes life can surprise us so i'll try to be hopeful for you all there.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are in a tough situation. Understand love of dog and also the need to not allow him to suffer. I will be thinking of you as you will probably have to make the decision to take him out of his pain filled life. In the mean time, sounds like good times.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm as hard headed as I am, it would take a railroad spike shot out of a cannon to change my mind. and the spike would more than likely shatter upon impact. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Selfishness in the name of "love" is wrong in all it's forms.

In the meantime, I will get all the hugs and happy face licks I can.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm as hard headed as I am, it would take a railroad spike shot out of a cannon to change my mind. and the spike would more than likely shatter upon impact. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Selfishness in the name of "love" is wrong in all it's forms.

In the meantime, I will get all the hugs and happy face licks I can.
:thumbsup

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am SO SORRY about Sentry! Prayers sent for his quick recovery. :fl ( We NEED an emoji for praying, please!!) :hugs:hugs:hugs
Thanks but he won't recover. Even the vet agrees that there is no point in another surgery. Someday and we don't know when that will be, his other hip will collapse and we will have to say a tearful goodbye. The first surgery bought us time to deal with this. We were so blindsided by his diagnosis, we just never saw it coming. He has a huge heart, a brilliant mind and a broken body that we can't fix. It is heart breaking, but I remain firm in my conviction that he was meant to be our dog.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks but he won't recover. Even the vet agrees that there is no point in another surgery. Someday and we don't know when that will be, his other hip will collapse and we will have to say a tearful goodbye. The first surgery bought us time to deal with this. We were so blindsided by his diagnosis, we just never saw it coming. He has a huge heart, a brilliant mind and a broken body that we can't fix. It is heart breaking, but I remain firm in my conviction that he was meant to be our dog.
And a LUCKY dog he is to be yours <3

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can’t help but wonder if lady knew before she sold you the pup.
I PM’ed her on FB and politely lowered the boom on her. She apologized profusely and said she had no idea. I told her both parents should be neutered. In the future, when that day comes, I will lower the boom on her again. Over private message, I am not a public brawling drama queen.

Latest posts