Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Heart is melting!!! :love:love:love
I LOVE little black faced puppies!!! Looks a lot like Pyg as a puppy, and she was the ONLY one in the litter with a black face. Puppies are the best and YOU are the best bc you keep your dogs. Cannot abide ANYBODY who takes a dog in and changes their mind.
Keep us updated!!!

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems clear to me that both you and Trip know what you are doing. I would not have known that Trip biting on Sentry all over was a good thing.
I gave it a few days. Trip knew there was another male dog here and had several days to get used to the idea. I've seen him thrash a new dog, even a puppy, to assert his dominance. I told Trip to take it easy and he did, Sentry never yelped or cried.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
So that is the new puppy! He is going to be a great addition to the place. Glad he is fitting in already and such a smart little (not for long!) guy.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
He is adorable! I will be closely following this thread to learn for future addition of livestock to our homestead.
It is important to know the social behaviors of animals before bringing new ones in. Their behaviors should be respected, working with those behaviors instead of (often well meaning, but ignorant) against the animal behaviors will bring much better results. There are always dominant animals, no matter what species. The term pecking order comes from chickens pecking each other. The #1 chicken can peck all the other chickens. #2 chicken can peck all the other chickens-but not #1. #3 can peck all but #1 and #2. and so it goes to the last chicken that gets beat up by all the others, sometimes to death. Sometimes the bottom of the pecking order chicken must be removed. This is simplifying social order, but you get the idea.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today Sentry learned that cedar tastes bad. Ewenique was happily chomping on the greenery so he bit some off. It didn’t take but seconds for him to spit it out.

CEE3FBBE-D3F7-44BB-9FB6-FA357C193438.jpeg

I turned Ringo the ram in with Ewenique and Scottie. Ewenique lost no time in butting Sentry. I caught a pic of Ewenique threatening Sentry. He whirled around and skeedaddled!

FC36FC71-4088-4298-9256-4FC863309300.jpeg

Just as quick, he came right back.

60CFC639-8C8D-4E31-9FA9-CACC23E07269.jpeg

Trip asked to come in the pasture so I cracked open the gate. Sentry jumped on Trip, overjoyed to see him, licking Trip’s face. Trip growled, but I think he likes the puppy. Ewenique sized Sentry up for another head butt, and Ringo came over to check him out.

586D4319-4010-4669-A31F-6CAE38048D97.jpeg

Sure enough, Ewenique butted him again.

F1093838-02F2-472E-BB31-7DE6720D1E98.jpeg

I watched several hours while Sentry followed the sheep trio. Scottie is wary of him and will run, causing him to run too. I yell NO! and he stops and looks at me. I put him back in his pen. We’re working on it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Luck with that Sentry, Bay'! He looks like he will be lots of fun.
This is simplifying social order, but you get the idea.
I will have a little fun with that simplifying but, not with dogs. For me personally, I have never had more than 2 dogs in my household. Perhaps because of their breeds, I wasn't too happy with that because it seemed that Steve had a dog and "Steve's Dog" had a dog ... :)

Chickens. I doubt if it is always true but in my flocks, #1 often had a pleasant personality. Perhaps because, #2 was the "enforcer." #3 chicken was often friendly towards me. Perhaps because she would have liked to move up in the social order ;).

Everybody has a story ...

Steve

Latest posts