Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
She was the breeder? She represents what is wrong with the animal industry. She (at best) didn’t want to know. She needs to be turned in.

At the least, she should have given your money back.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, here goes. We had quite a scare this week. On Monday evening, Sentry clearly didn't feel good, he was limping on both back legs and there was a big hard knot pushed out past the base of his tail. When I touched it, he licked my hand, telling me it hurt. From the looks of it, it looked like the other hip blew out. We had already discussed not having another surgery and putting him down. So we loved him, sniffled, and prepared ourselves for the worst. We took him to the vet Tuesday. What a Covid-19 experience that was!

Curbside vet care. No one was allowed inside, the vet techs came out and took the pets inside. Care was performed, then the pet was brought back to the owner. Another lady brought the bill and took payment. Nuts. We expressed our concerns to the tech and she led Sentry away. The vet came out and said that his X-ray looked the same, it was not out of place. I asked about the bump on his hindquarter and the vet said he didn't know, but it wasn't bone. So we figured that maybe it was a muscular injury from him playing too hard with the other dogs. We heaved a sigh of relief that we didn't have to put him down.

That lump was sore and it hurt. I kept watching him, wondering what was wrong. Thursday morning I saw blood spots on the porch and his anus was bloody. Back to the vet we went. For the first time, I didn't have to lift him in the truck, he jumped in. He had an impacted anal gland and it had ruptured. We left him, they sedated him and cleaned him all up and soaked the area with antibiotic. We picked him up that afternoon. The vet said that normally, big dogs don't get an impacted anal gland, that is mostly a little dog problem. DH asked the vet why Sentry had an impacted anal gland, if it was a little dog problem. The vet shrugged and said, "You got a lemon?" We all laughed. Lemon he certainly is, a train wreck of a dog. The vet agreed with us that Sentry can't take another surgery, the operated leg dangles, the muscles have atrophied and he just doesn't have a good leg to stand on. Not if, but when, his other hip blows out or becomes too painful for him, we will say our tearful goodbyes and give him a peaceful escape.

So now he has a shaved butt, an obvious hole that is healing up, pain pills and antibiotics for a week. His fur is starting to look like a patchwork of shaved spots. He feels much better and is running and playing again. We let the sheep out in the yard and he laid in the soft clover under a pine tree, watching, on guard. His mind and heart is in it, his crippled leg, sore butt body slows him down, but it ain't stopping him.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted corn today in the garden. Sentry got as close as he could on the outside of the garden, because it is fenced. He found shade under a peach tree, just to be close to me.

a996ed76-93d8-494a-b649-ce3073d4e642-jpeg.73557

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can’t believe you don’t let him join you so that his last years are with you making him happy... :frow :hide :lol:

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is that peppervine growing up next to the post? That stuff is a pita!

My dogs follow me around like that. Blue is so old, I have to make sure she comes back to the house with me so she doesn't get lost.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
There is a special place in Hades for bad dog breeders!!!
SIL Constantly rehomes dogs with physical problems. Ironically, the 2 collies she has now aren't running to the Vet every few months.
She bought 2 collies from the same bad breeder, who also breeds horses. There was some story about the breeder's horses with rashes on their faces.
WTFUDGE?!?!?!?!?
I have owned 35 horses in the last 40 years, not happy with 14 years total turnout (w/shelter), and I NEVER had rashes on the muzzles of my horses.
Yet, this woman thinks that she is saving Collies by breeding them.
I had the same Vet experience in the last few weeks, drive my dog for surgery, relinquish her at the side door, call the front desk and give them my credit card# to pay.
NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING tears you up More than watching your animals suffer.
I will be praying for you and Sentry. SUCH a lovely pup!! :love:love:love

Latest posts