Serving Size?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps, here's that discussion on metric conversion for @Alasgun and @Ridgerunner , et al.

:D . I was looking at the USDA nutrition database yesterday and realized that it has gone to grams. Not, grandparents! Tried to toggle it to find "cups." (Toggled, is that the right word? Probably feel something like @baymule backing up the trailer when I use that term.)

No cups. The USDA has updated! Grams? ... let's see ... seems that I remember that there are about 28 grams to an ounce ... so, 28 x 8, then multiply the nutrients ...... aaaaaaaahhhhhh!

All that to figure out what is in a cup of orange juice. Tomato, tabled!

Milliters? Gram equals 1 milliliter of water! Helpful. But, 1.1364 milliliters of cooking oil. Tomato juice?! What am I, some kind of physisisithithist!!!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps, here's that discussion on metric conversion for @Alasgun and @Ridgerunner , et al.

:D . I was looking at the USDA nutrition database yesterday and realized that it has gone to grams. Not, grandparents! Tried to toggle it to find "cups." (Toggled, is that the right word? Probably feel something like @baymule backing up the trailer when I use that term.)

No cups. The USDA has updated! Grams? ... let's see ... seems that I remember that there are about 28 grams to an ounce ... so, 28 x 8, then multiply the nutrients ...... aaaaaaaahhhhhh!

Milliters? Gram equals 1 milliliter of water! Helpful. But, 1.1364 milliliters of cooking oil. Tomato juice?! What am I, some kind of physisisithithist!!!

Steve

heeheehee... we really do need to just bite the bullet and get on with the full and actual conversion.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Steve
1.25 mL is a drop. 5 mL is a teaspoon. 15mL is a tbsp. Says so on my kitchen wares. 2 tbsp is an ounce, so 30mL, 8tbs is a half cup and so on. If you keep your ratios in either english or metric but not both you can prevent fires. I became a metric fan by mixing garden chemicals.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
keep your ratios in either english or metric
And, here's another problem.

Aren't kitchen cooks strong enuf to hold a measuring cup in their left hand while they are filling it? I have it backward every time and I'm looking at metric. Have to turn cup and change hands!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, here's another problem.

Aren't kitchen cooks strong enuf to hold a measuring cup in their left hand while they are filling it? I have it backward every time and I'm looking at metric. Have to turn cup and change hands!

Steve

hmm... the measuring cups i have are either glass so you can see through them or the measurements are on the inside of the cup itself or i have smaller measuing cups for those specific amounts used. a lot of times i just eyeball it anyways. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha!

After @heirloomgal posted about her chilly, snowy weather, I realized that our 25°f is minus 4°C. Had to go back and edit in a "-"! :D

Did you know that -40° is the same on both thermometers? So when your thermometer says -40, you can be comfortable with that information, right?! Oh, you say that it is never -40° where you live? Yeah, well here, too. We are lucky, no doubt.

Okay, I've been looking at the conversion graphs ... We probably all know that 0°C is freezing, so 32°f. What about something reasonable, like "room temperature?." We usually think of room temperature as 70°f. In Celsius, it's right at 21°. If it was years, that would be the "age of majority!" You know, about the age of your kid when you could trust them to adjust the thermostat.

Steve

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did you know that -40° is the same on both thermometers? So when your thermometer says -40, you can be comfortable with that information, right?! Oh, you say that it is never -40° where you live? Yeah, well here, too. We are lucky, no doubt.
It's been a long time ago but I remember being out in -40° here.

Latest posts