Serving Size?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wait a minute!

Looking at these time zones ...

The Eastern Time Zone is too damn wide! Central is squeezed and parts of Maine might have been squeezed outta the Atlantic zone!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wait a minute!

Looking at these time zones ...

The Eastern Time Zone is too damn wide! Central is squeezed and parts of Maine might have been squeezed outta the Atlantic zone!

Steve

time zones were the first kind of gerrymandering financially they wanted Chicago and New York in the same zone no matter what common sense might have done.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
common sense
Idaho could easily have just ONE time zone but the people in the southern part of the state must have been committed to the state of Utah. If there was a state to be divided, Utah would have been a good choice - the proper meridian, if I understand correctly, goes right through Salt Lake. Nevada is Pacific Time and its border with California is right in the middle of the zone.

The Pacific zone has reason to be narrow, especially in WA, OR, & CA. I mean, there is only water to the west. (And, California ain't straight, but we knew that ;).)

Steve, native to Carmel-by-the-Sea :D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
So you are one of those.......... explains why my baking abilities suck. I usually just approximate.
Oh seed, haven't you heard baking is a science? You really have to measure accurately. It's not like cooking where you can add a little of this and a little of that and taste it to see what else it needs.

That is why I prefer grams for recipes because it will come out the same way each time. A cup of flour can fluctuate depending on if it's packed or how it was leveled.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh seed, haven't you heard baking is a science? You really have to measure accurately. It's not like cooking where you can add a little of this and a little of that and taste it to see what else it needs.

That is why I prefer grams for recipes because it will come out the same way each time. A cup of flour can fluctuate depending on if it's packed or how it was leveled.

Mary
Yeah, yeah, yeah.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's an example of meridianmandering ;):

Idaho Falls in far eastern Idaho is just beyond the common sense boundary of the Pacific zone. The center meridian would be in central Oregon. So, it's 32 minutes early for solar noon. But, since it is barely inside the next zone, it's 28 minutes later than the center of that zone. Does it then make sense that the entire southern part of the state moved to Mountain time?

Northern Idaho is on Pacific time. Coeur d'Alene, the largest city in the north, is at 116° West longitude. Boise, in the south, is at 116° West. Boise is on Mountain time. Looking at a map of US time zones: ID is the only state divided north from south. And, southern Idaho sticks out like a sore thumb. Clearly Nutz!

If you would like to know, for instance, how early or late your "high noon" is divorced from your clock time, you can check it here LINK. Remember that the centers of US zones are 120° West 105° West 90° West 75° West, reading left to right of course ;).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, @flowerbug .

If I remember right, home is very "central Michigan." Just checked Port Huron on the eastern most fringe and it is barely within sight of common sense Eastern time.

Asking something of the labor force and school kids to be up 30 - 40 minutes (an hour+) year-round before people on the Atlantic Coast.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, @flowerbug .

If I remember right, home is very "central Michigan." Just checked Port Huron on the eastern most fringe and it is barely within sight of common sense Eastern time.

Asking something of the labor force and school kids to be up 30 - 40 minutes (an hour+) year-round before people on the Atlantic Coast.

Steve

fairly close to the middle in terms of east to west for the Lower Peninsula, a bit south of the middle. now if you throw the UP into the mix all those calculations are a bit off... it's such a funny shaped state, but it's home. :) it's funny to think that where i used to live in the UP we were almost due north of Chicago and much of Wisconsin. the other day talking to my brother he didn't know that the US41 which goes down to Florida ends up in the UP too.

Latest posts