Seven Ways to Plant Taters

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I just read that, I get the paper copy of the magazine. I'm trying the trash bag method, only I'm using empty chicken feed bags, since all our feed comes in plastic bags now. The plants are just getting going, so we will see how it works!

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Interesting. I hadn't thought of growing in a bag. I may try that. We have plenty of feed bags. We've planted our main potato crop in rows as always. But I have some seed potatoes left and could try this.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started a couple in black reusable grocery bags, but I ended up dumping them into the raised bed with the others. I think they would dry out too fast. I might try the big commercial grow bags next year though. -Wendy

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They missed tire stacks and garbage cans...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Potatoes have always been a frustrating thing for me, mainly because I hate to sacrifice so much of my garden space to a gamble. Usually my dad grows too many and is glad to share, but it's not the same as having your own stash for the winter.

After reading the article, I think I will try them in raised beds this year, since I'm in the process of adding 5 more raised beds anyway. We've got terrible red clay and mine is finally starting to shape up after years of adding manure, compost, etc. The best potatoes I've grown yet were in plain old raised rows. But one end of the garden did pretty well, while the other got flooded out by heavy spring rains.

I tried the wire cage method last year. It dried out too fast for me and even though I appeared to have some healthy green growth, there were barely any potatoes forming beneath the surface. :/ I dunno...maybe I'll experiment with some of the others too.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I remember when I was growing up, we always grew them in tires. I don't remember how well they produced though, since we just gardened for fun and not to seriously produce food.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to try the garbage can method and I also have a wire basket thingie. I will see which method works best. I picked up some organic yukon gold taters with some good eyes on em :D

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lots of good and easy to use ideas. I was going to do the 55 gallon drum method, but I think maybe I will try the wood box idea instead.

Latest posts