Seventy-four years ago, Today

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
George Orwell died on this date.

I read Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four several years before 1984 and remember being surprised that, to my young mind, it had been written in such a distant past. Forgetting that copyright date, I have several times wondered when Nineteen Eighty-Four was published. I remember feeling fortunate in 1984 not to be living in the society Orwell portrayed in his novel. His ideas of a possible existence seem to be mentioned frequently in recent times.

Nineteen Eighty-Four was published in 1949

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
George Orwell died on this date.

I read Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four several years before 1984 and remember being surprised that, to my young mind, it had been written in such a distant past. Forgetting that copyright date, I have several times wondered when Nineteen Eighty-Four was published. I remember feeling fortunate in 1984 not to be living in the society Orwell portrayed in his novel. His ideas of a possible existence seem to be mentioned frequently in recent times.

Nineteen Eighty-Four was published in 1949
I have the same thought on these books. And I remember seeing the movie 2001....when that was far into the future.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reading about things Orwellian.

The film rights to Animal Farm were sold to the CIA during the Truman administration. A British animation company put it into production. The company was owned by a Hungarian Jewish person who had lost several members of his family during the Holocaust.

The book was Orwell's literary attack on Stalin. "Do it wrong and this is how it turns out." The film, in contrast to the book (& reality), has a happy ending.

digitS'

Latest posts