Severe Weather?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I'd bring back the map from a January thread, that ran into April.

We all have gardens in place so -- Everything Else Garden!! It will update on a regular NOAA schedule:

noaa.gif

Yesterday, the severe weather news was a little more breath-taking :hide but here it is today: " A Moderate Risk of Severe Thunderstorms is Forecast Today and/or Tonight THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE DEVELOPMENT OF WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS...LARGE HAIL AND A FEW TORNADOES OVER PARTS OF THE UPPER MIDWEST INTO THE OHIO VALLEY THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT."

www.spc.ncep.noaa.gov

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am smack-dab in the middle of the severe storm area. They are saying everything is set up for another possible derecho like we had last year. We had NO warning of it last year, so I can't imagine what kind of storm might come with that much warning. You can feel it heavy in the air today. :/

I went around and battened most everything down yesterday evening. Gotta go move the chickens one more time and pound in their rebar anchors for the tractor. I need to put a couple cinderblocks on top of the bee boxes and hope that helps. I took everything in my two freezers and consolidated to one, which needed to be done anyway as supplies are dwindling before the summer's anticipated bounty. The pool was filled up this week...so there's water to cool off and wash off with. The cistern should refill quickly if we do get a storm. We have a couple containers of gasoline in the garage already for mowing season. We never got around to purchasing a generator since last summer, but my grandpa's got one I can borrow if the power goes out. (We had no power for 7 days last summer...12 days for my aunt who lives out an even more rural road than we.)

I'm glad to have a full basement. Others on my ridge are not so lucky, especially the trailers, but I've let them know before they are welcome to come huddle with us if need be.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had some heavy rain and flooding this week, but not really noteworthy.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey Journey, last years derecho was crazy. We were outside and it started getting cloudy ... not really even expecting and then my husband yelled "Get in the house" because he could see it coming. It was the first storm we went to the basement for. After about 20 minutes it got quite and we come upstairs and trees were down everywhere. This home has been in my family for over 40 years and we had never had a storm like that.

Last night was not like last year. It is raining like crazy now and it rained last night be it wasn't any worse then any summer storm. I think NW Ohio got hit harder. I think it has to come through me to get to you so I am assuming you did alright also. I was up between 3:00-3:30 listening to the storm but it calmed down and I went to sleep.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We have had rain it seems like every day for at least 2 weeks straight. My first cucumber seeds rotted, my second planting of cucumber seeds seem to have rotted. :barnie I like the rain and I like the idea that we don't have to water the garden. But how about some sunshine. I bet that is going to kick most things in high gear once it comes out for a few days.

Glad you all are staying safe!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is NOAA's thunderstorm map. I think it will update but this is today:

day1otlk_1300.gif

Looks like the Ohio Valley dodged the bullet but that term has been used before . . . just before the victim collapsed. We will all continue to hope for the best.

SHF, your state made national weather news a couple of days ago because of all the rain. At that time, it was the only place in the US that had anything going on. I can understand how you wish it would just "go on" and be done with.

Steve

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
steve, if you would kindly adjust that map just a little & put some of that rain in Texas, i'd be mighty obliged