shady grass in the oklahoma climate

Jeremy Ebers

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm looking for grass seed that will grow well in oklahoma in a nearly completely shaded environment as I have my yard covered with large pecan & oak trees which I love but makes for some mighty big bare spots lol I'd really like for my yard to look as nice as possible & it's definitely lacking in the grass department any feedback is appreciated

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grasses LOVE sun , but HATES shade as you can see ! Try shade loving plants such as hostas, or ferns, etc. .

Jeremy Ebers

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Surely there's some kinda grass that will grow in shade I have an acre of bald patches

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fescues are grasses that do relatively well in the shade. I live in a woods and have mostly red fescue under all the trees in front. No grass will grow in deep shade, however. I have several shady spots that have nothing growing under them. I have wild ginger to plant under the crab tree along some arborvitae and hosta around the deepest shade of each tree. For areas that don't get a lot of foot traffic there are plenty of good shady ground covers. I have Japanese spurge, lamium, wild geraniums, and many others that do well.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Surely there's some kinda grass that will grow in shade I have an acre of bald patches
One will eventually come to realize that maybe grass just won't grow there. Some other plants to consider... just google Moss, Lamium, Houttaynia, Ajuga, Sagina, Thaliatrum, Cornus canadensis, Acenaria verna, etc. for descriptions. One of these or some others planted in various places and/ or groupings just may strike your fancy. However, I would STAY AWAY from ivy.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
While not a grass expert by any means of the word, I do have a lot of experience attempting to grow it under oaks. After years of adding topsoil and re-seeding several times, we put in shade plants instead. We were not real fond of mowing and trimming around all the trees anyway.

The neighbors were somewhat successful growing grass under the 25 oaks in their front yard, but constant adding topsoil, sun/shade grass seed annually, fertilizing often (which meant mowing three times a week)... was just not how I want to spend my summers.

As @bobm suggested, could you plant shade loving or native woods plants in the deepest shade areas and put your efforts into growing some grass in the areas where grass would be more successful, with less effort?

Latest posts