Shakespeare Ugly Head Replacement String Trimmer Head

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Troy-bilt gas trimmer - the one that doesn't require mixing gas & oil, and with the detatchable/interchangable head. I got it so that I would only need 1 machine to do the grass trimming around the yard and the brush trimming along the pasture fences. It has run great and does a really good job. However, I've had to replace the string trimmer attachment 3 times now - they seem to only last 1 season before I kill them. Apparently I'm bumping them too hard... or not loading the string right.
I still need the brush cutter attachemnt to get through the blackberries and saplings along the pasture fences, but I've had enough of the frustration and wasted time with string loading issues. It often takes me 20mins or longer to struggle with it and finally take it apart to replace the string.

Has anyone used this type of replacement head? Some of the reviews say that the string breaks or runs out too easy. But if it only takes a moment to replace it, that doesn't seem like it would be that big of a problem. I'd just carry a pocketfull of replacement pieces.

I'm also wondering if it will even fit on my trimmer. It says that it fits nearly all... I'd hate to spend the money to find out that I have the 'rare exception'.

8721_trimmerhead.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am having similar string problems on my Toro trimmer. (Which works very well otherwise, by the way. I remember an informercial with a replaceable head that was supposed to last a long time and have replaceable blades for free for life. (Yea, right.) I think it is called Pivot trim. However what I see online does not look the same. It has string instead of the heavy plastic blade that I remember. All of the string does not seem to last too long. I share your frustration. I am actively looking for the product and will let you know what I find.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't you wish someone would come up with a machine that would do both at the same time? I typically start 'doin the yard' by 8 on Saturday mornings and finish up around 1 or 2. Now I'm no 'yard snob' - I couldn't care less if there are a few stray bits of grass going to seed around a fence post. Its just mow it all, then go back and trim around the house, the porches, the coop, the barn, under the yard fence, between the drive and the pasture fence.... anywhere that 3' tall grass is going to be really noticable.
Wouldn't it be great to have some sort of extendable trimmer thingy off the front or side of the mower and just get it all at once? :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked up the Pivotrim after seeing the commercial. Looked plausible. I have zero issues with my old Stihl trimmer, but the commercial showed them cutting through plywood. I would like to cut brush without changing heads. Thirty bucks is doable.

Cane, that Ugly Head looks very similar to the Pivotrim. I wonder if you can go to their website and look up the particular models it does fit.

I have found that the "star" shaped line works the best and is the most durable. Get the biggest diameter your trimmer will accept.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I looked up the Pivotrim after seeing the commercial. Looked plausible. I have zero issues with my old Stihl trimmer, but the commercial showed them cutting through plywood. I would like to cut brush without changing heads. Thirty bucks is doable.

Cane, that Ugly Head looks very similar to the Pivotrim. I wonder if you can go to their website and look up the particular models it does fit.

I have found that the "star" shaped line works the best and is the most durable. Get the biggest diameter your trimmer will accept.
Well, that's part of the problem. I can't seem to find THEIR site. Just places to buy them.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Catjack, i think i found your trimmer hear with the blades. i got mine a few days ago over at Wal Mart. the one i picked up is called Weed Warrior, push-n-load 3 blade head. i'll have to give it a try this weekend on some very weedy areas around the yard.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So how does the trimmer head work? I am so frustrated with my trimmer! The motor works great-starts easily. But the string breaks constantly. I think I'm going to try the Pivotrim!

Latest posts