Share your pumpkin recipe here...

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PUMPKIN MARSHMALLOWS?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do tell. :)

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think you'll like this one, BBH. Not really a recipe, more of a method, I guess.

I wash the pumpkin and cut it in half from stem to flower end. Sugar pumpkins are best for this, but I've used the big gigantic ones used for carving, too. These have far less flavor, though.

Save the seeds for roasting if they are nice and plump, give them to the chickens if not.

Put the pumpkin halves cut-side-down on a roasting pan or jellyroll pan, you may have to do one at a time if you are using a pumpkin-on-steroids-sized monstrosity.

Bake at maybe 325 for....one to two hours or more. It depends on the thickness of the flesh. I like to bake them until they are browned and collapse in the middle. Even better, if an air bubble forms between the skin and the flesh.

Let them cool. Be careful when removing from the oven, as a lot of water can cook out of some pumpkins. Sometimes the water gets sucked up inside the half pumpkin if a tight seal was formed, and this can leak out when you move the pan and burn you if you don't expect it.

When cool, slice in wedges and peel. Give the peels to the sheep or chickens. Cube the flesh and run through the food processor to puree. Freeze in 1/2 cup and one cup portions for later use.

I add a cup or more of this puree to every soup and stew I make all winter. It takes a quick soup and makes it taste slow-roasted, and I've had college cooking instructors who could not identify the unique flavor in my soup....they loved it, were intrigued, and of course I would make them guess. It is especially wonderful in a classic chicken soup, which I can throw together in a flash with home-canned or frozen chicken broth, puree'd pumpkin, frozen or fermented scallions, fermented garlic, fresh carrots and snow peas or spinach, and of course, leftover chicken....or in an emergency, a thick slice of deli chicken or turkey, cubed.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the great tip freemotion!! I happen to have the sugar variety growing like weeds in the garden. I am going to do this for sure!! :drool

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
PUMPKIN MARSHMALLOWS?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do tell. :)
here you go take this recipe and sub the strawberries for the pumpkin puree (a very concentrated cooked down puree is best) or if you make pumpkin butter you could use that ..skip the orange flower water and just use whatever you like to season pumpkin with instead

you can push ground walnuts into the top of the marshmallows when you pour them in the pan

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r240.html

deenamr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
These pumpkin recipies were just in my Backwoods Home Magazine and I wanted to post them here for everyone. I haven't tried any yet but plan to.

RECIPES

The Pumpkin Patch

We heard on the news a few days ago about an over 800 pound pumpkin grown by a California woman and her son. We figured they, and some of our readers who might have a surplus of less massive pumpkins would appreciate a few recipes in which to use them.

Pumpkin Smoothy

1/2 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup frozen pineapple chunks
1-1/2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 whole graham cracker
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
cinnamon for garnish

Place pumpkin puree, frozen pineapple in the bottom of a blender or food processor.

Top with orange juice, yogurt, brown sugar and graham cracker.

Puree until smooth, stopping to press pineapple down into the blades of the blender, if necessary.

Pour into glasses and top with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Makes 2 servings.

Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup pumpkin pure
1/3 cup melted butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup frozen cranberries (or more, if you like)

Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda.

Mix the pumpkin, melted butter, eggs, 1/4 cup of water, and spices together, then combine with the dry ingredients, until just incorporated. Do not over-mix. Fold in the candied ginger and chopped nuts.

Spoon mixture into a bread pan (or a muffin pan). Bake for 60-65 minutes if making a loaf and for 25-30 minutes if making muffins. Check for done-ness with a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, it's done. Cool on a rack.

Filled and Frosted Italian Pumpkin Mini-cakes

4 eggs
2 cups of sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
15 ounces pumpkin puree (or one can)
2 cups of flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 Tablespoon cinnamon

Combine all the wet in a mixing bowl and beat till just mixed.

Add the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture and beat till well-blended.

Fill sprayed muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 18-22 minutes. Cool on a rack.

Filling/Frosting

1 container Mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese)
Real maple syrup
Sugar
Cinnamon

Add cheese to a bowl. Add syrup and sugar to desired sweetness. Add cinnamon to taste.

With a small knife, cut and save a small, deep circle from the top of each cupcake. Stuff the cream filling inside and all over the top. Place the cut out back on top, and sprinkle with cinnamon!

Spicy Pumpkin Soup with Cinnamon Croutons

2 tablespoons brown sugar
15 ounces pumpkin puree (or one can)
2 cans salt free chicken broth, 14 oz each
1 cup chopped onion
5 tablespoons softened butter
teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 slices whole wheat bread
teaspoon cinnamon
teaspoon salt
teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Handful cilantro leaves
teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix together the cinnamon, half the sugar, and the butter and spread it evenly over one side of each slice of bread. Put the bread, buttered side up, on a baking tray and bake for about 8 minutes or until the bread is toasted.

Cut the bread slices into small squares or triangles.

Saut the onion in the rest of the butter until tender, then add half the chicken broth. Stir the mixture well, bring it to a boil, then cover the pan, turn the heat down, and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.

Process the broth in a food processor or a blender until it is smooth, then put it back in the pan and add the other can of broth, the salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree, pepper, the rest of the sugar and the ginger.

Stir the mixture well and bring it to a boil.

Cover the pan, turn the heat down, and let the pumpkin soup simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring it all the time.

Stir in the cream and warm it through without boiling.

Ladle the soup into 6 serving bowls and top each one with some croutons and cilantro leaves.

(Serves 6)

Savory Pumpkin Quiche

1/2 cup Gruyere cheese
1 Pie crust
1 cup Evaporated milk
3 large Eggs
1 teaspoon Thyme fresh, chopped
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 cup Pumpkin

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Sprinkle cheese over bottom of piecrust

Whisk together milk, eggs, thyme, pepper, nutmeg and pumpkin. Pour mixture over cheese in crust.

Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees, and bake 45 to 50 minutes more, or until pie filling has set and tip of knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Latest posts