Sharing a funny little story

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Crazy4chicks question about coffee grounds reminded me of my Mama, her great gardening skills, and the lengths she would go to just to have great plants.
My mom lived in South Florida after my dad retired. She grew poinsettias that were absolutely beautiful. They actually spread and thrived. Mine just silently struggle through the holiday season and get thrown out the day after Christmas when they're dead.
The only problem my mom had with her poinsettias was getting them the necessary ratio of light to darkness they need to bloom (turn red). You see, mom's poinsettias grew all across the front of her house and the power company put up a light pole at the corner of her lot that shed tons of light on the plants at night. Mom tried everything to help her plants, including covering them each night, to no avail. Then she hit on her funny, slightly illegal idea. She bought a cheap BB gun and would shoot out the power company's light each year when it was time for her plants to start blooming. Each spring the power company would replace the bulb and each winter Mom would shoot it out again. This went on for years and Mom's poinsettias are still ranked as the prettiest ones I've ever seen.
Just wanted to share. :)

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That is too funny. LOL I can just imagine an elderly lady with a Beebe gun at night firing at the street light. How funny. :lol: :lol:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I so needed a good laugh today... THANKS. :gig (I think I would have really loved your Mom) :hugs

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Great story, thanks for sharing the wife and I got a good laugh, your mom sounds like our kind of people

Don

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love it! :lol: Of course, many years ago when I was a little boy (Yes, we did have electric lights back than.) the street lights were big glass globes and when they were installed the back side that faced homes was painted black so as not to disturb anyone.
canstock2013658.jpg

Latest posts