Sharing Photos Of Blight From My Tomatoes

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank goodness for crop rotation and mulch. I did not get blight this year (though mildew is another subject! :lol: ) But last year I had the real thing, I lost several plants, and the ones that were hit and survived produced very little. I know there has been a lot of fear about blight being on everyone's plants this year. I would hate to see people panic, rip out and give up on plants that may be just stressed or experiencing bug damage.

So here's what a real invested plant looks like... after being healthy looking ONLY 3 DAYS earlier. Blight hits and destroys FAST.

14084_dying_tomato1.jpg

14084_dying_tomato2.jpg

Notice the lesions on the leaves look like a grey/brown and the plant looks entirely lifeless? There are also long lesions on the branches, usually starting from the base of the plant, and moving up.

14084_dying_tomato3.jpg

14084_dying_tomato4.jpg

Blight resides in the soil, so I'm going to 'solar polarize' this bed this August before I plant again next year. This year, this bed grew onions/garlic and now pumpkins.

14084_dying_tomato5.jpg

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing I am going to go out and look at mine. I think mine have a southern blight.:( Being it's so hot and I am in zone 9.... They are still chucking along but yep so slowly :pop. I also seem to have blossom drop and end rot. But as always my peppers are doing great. Can't wait for fall plantings!! It's just so hot! My heirloom has looked aweful and not produced a single thing and it is my first shot at heirloom. Boo It was a pink brandywine. The ones I started from seed have done the best! I need 2 AA for my camera and DS has snaked them all for his xbox :barnie. I will get some pics. this weekend though and see what you think.

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Opps I have a question about solarizing...can I do it now for september planting? Thanks :love

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ecopepper said:
Opps I have a question about solarizing...can I do it now for september planting? Thanks :love
I think it requires 60-90 days of solarizing to make sure it works right, as I have read?

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I wonder if being in Florida and it being so hot. Maybe I will try it and see how it works. Hummmm......I guess it is worth a try. Better than nothing maybe? But then I may harvest something I don't want in that shorter amount of time. Oh shoot being in Florida it is hard to solarize because there is always something growing. Almost need and extra bed to rotate too but my pool takes up too much room. Thanks for the input.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey guys, check out this recent thread... "Anyone solarize their garden?". It had some good info and I learned a lot from it. Especially from the two links RickF listed. I learned a lot that I didn't know (especially that thin plastic is better than thick).

Now would be a good time to try it, being the hottest part of the year. I did mine last August with black plastic (clear is best, actually) and it was hot enough to completely kill off quackgrass! I was sold on the idea and plan to do it again (but right this time!)

Vfem, that looks awful! Have you been able to identify what kind of blight it is?

My plants are looking good, despite the fact that we've had perfect conditions to foster blight, but I'm keeping a close eye on them. I planted too many tomatoes, so I'll have no problem ripping out any that look like they're going downhill. :rolleyes:

But despite the plants looking healthy, my tomato fruit have not been keeping well. I think I picked up something from the last time I bought canning tomatoes (u-pick) in Ohio. After a couple days sitting on the table, they start to get dark circles that look like bruises then begin to grow a fuzzy pink mold (?) on the bruise. Gotta sit down and look that one up on the computer.
:caf

Late spring (right before planting time) is also a good time to solarize too, but not as hot as July/August (depending where you live really).

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Vfem, that looks awful! Have you been able to identify what kind of blight it is?
It is early southern blight, but the sores on the leaves are very close on all blights to look for. Its the target in the lesion you will see in all forms of blight. The lesion colors, sizes and the way the plant goes down hill can all be a bit different.

Latest posts