She got me a Sumac start.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do I know when it is ripe and ready to picked? I guess I'd better get up close and personal with some sumac!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I picked a washpan heaped up of sumac seed heads. They were red, sticky and tasty. Tart. There isn't much berry, but a big seed. Looks like it would take a lot of them to get spice flakes.

I filled the dehydrator. Still had a lot. Filled two cookie sheets and placed in sun, where they will get about 4 hours of direct sun. Still had some left. Two more cookie sheets placed in the shade. I'll see which drying method works best.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Lookie here:

You can see the protection that has to be around a plant outside the garden.

Attachments

• sumac 3 .JPG
    sumac 3 .JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 282

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, Ma'am,
I am in proud receipt of the sumac, while I'm am glad of you're return address so I can find a way of reciprocating I am aghast at the amount you've spent on shipping re the volume you have sent, I expected an envelope of the outer coating of the seeds not a great parcel.
I was worried you might spend a couple dollar, this cost was so much more.

Thank you very much, I knew by reading your posts you were a generous, caring person, I should have known how you would respond.

Richard

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad the sumac arrived. I picked a bunch of it for you. It was sticky, gooey, just like you said. I licked my fingers, it was like biting into a lemon! Sumac! Who knew?

I spread the seed heads on cookie sheets and dried them in the sun. I kept a few for myself, to try them. I rubbed them through a wire strainer with a wood mallet. The powder is grainy, and clumps up. There is still moisture in it. I put it in a half pint jelly jar.

This evening I tried the ka-bob recipe you PMed me. It was good! I think I needed more sumac powder in it though. I bet it's good on baked chicken.

I am excited to learn about an undesirable weed, a nuisance plant that clogs up fence rows. It's not so undesirable after all. Being a Texan, swilling down iced tea by the gallon.......yep, I boiled some seed heads and cut the burner off and let them steep. I made iced tea! I added sugar, ice and my husband enjoyed some sumac-ade! It was a beautiful rose color, tart. and refreshing.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge about this plant. I had no idea.

I picked the seeds off the stems, a laborious project, and rubbed them through the strainer. Is there an easier way to. separate the seeds? Do you ever sprinkle the powder on food after cooking it, like salt and pepper?

Again, thanks for sharing about sumac. My husband and I are having fun trying it.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sarma~We use Thomson grape leaves, to prepare, wilt leaves in hot water and put into salt water brine.
The mixture to be put into the grape leaves~long grain rice, onions chopped small, about the size of your fingernail, you choose the finger. Saute onions in olive oil for 10-15minuts
Stir rice in and chicken broth cook for ten to 15 minuts longer.
The rice won't be cooked, it will finish cooking inside the grape leaves. If you have bought grape leaves take rince them and soak in hot water to remove brine. If your own leaves

1. Place each leaf with shiny side down on a plate. Put 1 to 11/2 tablespoon of filling at stem end. Roll once, fold in sides and roll the rest of the way. Try to get them as tight as possible.
    RollSarma1.jpg
  2. In pan for cooking place torn grape leaves to line the bottom (you can also use a few lettuce leaves to line the pan).
  3. Pack rolled grape leaves close together, as many layers as needed.
  4. Add 3 cups chicken broth, put a heavy plate on top of the leaves to keep them from floating up.
  5. Bring to a slow boil on med high heat (watch closely not to scorch the bottom). Lower heat , cover and simmer for 45 minutes.

place 4 or5 in each plate, put a spoon full or madzoon[yogurt] on top sqeeze on lemon or sprinkle sumac.

They should be rolled tightly.

Latest posts