Short story.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One day my friend invited me and my husband to visit. Among the guests were three men - Arabs, her colleagues. My friend has a dog, which she had to close in the room. She just learned that the dog for Arabs
is haram (strictly prohibited).
They asked my girlfriend not to cook. They wanted to do it all themselves. These men brought rice, meat, vegetables, fruits and whole spice bag. Dinner was very tasty. We talked quietly, then the Arabs began to talk about their country.
They said that the country is changing, more Arabs abandon polygamy and want to have one wife. How much money they invest in science and want their children to get good education. Then the Arabs began to enthusiastically tell that many of the old superstitions disappear. And civilization blooms like a rose. Well, after these words, all began.
Suddenly the Arabs screamed and jumped on chairs with their feet. My eyes grew round as saucers! I looked at them and could not understand what had happened! Then I turned around and saw that the living room came the dog. The dog looked around and ran to get acquainted to new guests. The Arabs yelled even louder. Then we all ran to catch a dog. But it is too long sat in a locked room (do not know how it opened) and decided that we want to play with it.
Here at this time to start a real mess! The Arabs shouting, the dog ran barking, we ran after her, knocking chairs and each other. Finally, barely catching the dog, we are again locked her in a room. With difficulty calming the Arabs, we tried to save our evening. I hope we succeeded.
After a while, I thought that our whole civilization living up to the first "dog".

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why don't you ask the Arabs why the Saluki dog breed is kept and bred in the Arab countries for hunting small game animals in the deserts ? :hu

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why don't you ask the Arabs why the Saluki dog breed is kept and bred in the Arab countries for hunting small game animals in the deserts ? :hu

I imagine that the strictness of observance varies from region to region. It's no doubt the same as how they can forbid alcohol and yet have developed the Syrah wine grape, or how in many areas fruit wine and alcohol made from grains is a no-no, but you can feel free to drink all of the palm wine (made from the sap of date palms) you want.

Though the reaction to dogs may explain something I always wondered about, the habit of the Mughal rulers of India (who were Muslim) to hunt with large cats (caracals and servals for small game, trained leopards and cheetahs for larger fare) I guess if you are not allowed to go near dogs, developing hunting cats makes a lot of sense.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In tradition in Islam dogs as unclean animals. Therefore, contact with them is prohibited. In Islam, the dog is called "nadzhis". Translated it means "serpent", that is, it is an unclean animal that can defile food, clothing, and most Muslim. Contact with a dog is considered desecration, after which every Muslim must undergo purification.
Sharia permits to keep the dog in the house only for protection, hunting or for it to herding cattle. In the house or apartment they live rarely. Muslim keeps dogs outside the home.
In modern Muslim cities of more developed practice of keeping dogs in their homes. For example, in Iran there are a lot of breeders. But this process is very slow, because Islam is a fairly conservative religion. Religious leaders demand to catch and destroy all dogs in Iran.
But the Koran does not justify cruelty.
My friend - a Muslim took the dog into the house only after the death of religious parents. Although Moscow - a city of free morals.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Exactly my behavior with a snake! That will never change.
I can not afford to be afraid of snakes. There are so many around my house, grass moves. Fortunately, they are not poisonous.
IMG_6340.JPG