Short story.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am sure it goes back to time before Rabies Vaccine. A bite from rabid dog was certain slow painful death.
This is a good version. In addition, a black dog for them was possessed by an evil spirit. It looks like a rabies.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In Russia, some people think that witches are transforminto black cats. Many feared witches. Although the ancient Slavic word "witch" means "mother knows that." This is a woman who speaks with nature. To be afraid of black cats - ignorance.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am with you, Larisa, and with your snake. I find them fascinating animals and very useful for the environment. South-est, central-est Wisconsin doesn't have snakes that are considered dangerous. Closer to the Mississippi and further North is another story.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Further north!??

I think we avoid the rattlesnake by living where it is too cold through the winter. Now that single digitS' above zero has become common for our winter climate, I worry that they will move in!

People accept good and bad on faith, often. We may have given one or two things some thought and rejected "olde wives tales." It sure as the devil (;)) doesn't mean everybody has!

Beliefs (and notions) are seriously tangled up with values of good and bad. "I don't care," isn't such a worthwhile value ... Looking for examples of reasoning makes some sense but ... there we go ... sliding right off that path of accepting things on faith ...

Steve