Shot through the heart... is it too late, the damage is done?

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Those plants are a long way from dead. And - believe me - I know what dead looks like. lol

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If they are still green, they are alive. Start to worry when they are mostly yellow and brown. They look better than most my spring transplants. LOL

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for making me feel at ease over this. If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all... it's STILL WINDY!!! I've got a half attempt at a windblock up, but the wind keeps knocking it down and the plants in the middle are still getting knocked around badly. The windblock probably isn't doing anything except making me feel like I did something.

6992_imag1703.jpg

Lobster compost is something I purchased... it's lobster shells composted.
http://www.coastofmaine.com/soils-quoddy.shtml

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just keep watering them through the winds. Dehydration is your biggest concern, but if the roots are happy with water, then the water lost via transpiration of the leaves in the windy conditions won't kill them.

marypboland

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well when you first put transplants out, it's a good idea to cover them with something like remay or agribon. These fabrics come in various weights, let in varying amounts of light, but they all breathe, protect from wind and scorching sun and even frost. I usually leave the fabric on three to 10 days depending on the weather. It works great and I live at 6500 feet in the Colorado Rockies with harsh sun, lots of wind from time to time and frosts that come from out of the blue. Look these fabrics up. Any large online nursery will have them, probably under the category "season extenders."

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The original gourd plant I posted about did not make it. It started to grow new leaves at the end but then all of a sudden the stalk wilted and it died.

Odd that that happened because at the other end of my garden the other gourd plant is wilting and it was doing so well previously. And I just noticed a cuke plant that is wilting as well. What the heck is going on here? We just had a ton of rain... ??

I have pictures but my network isn't cooperating in sending them.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Coast of Maine lobster compost is good stuff! As for the wind, I feel your pain, it was windy as heck here for over a week. Everything is still in pots huddled on the porch. You are brave to plant that stuff out up there this early - there's still a chance of frost up there, ours is barely past! Hopefully the windbreak with help, but if the weather clears (yea, I know, fat chance of that lately!!) you might still get a spell cold enough to cause frost, so keep some sheets ready!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like damping off?? All that rain and wind did not help... Maybe spring will arrive next month!