Shot through the heart... is it too late, the damage is done?

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I tried, I really did.

I coddled these plants in my basement in an insulated box with lights and heated grow mats. I took them off the grow mats when they started to get bigger, and I attempted to harden them off by placing them outside for varying lengths of time for about a week (the bigger plants longer because they didn't fit in my grow box anymore) and in my window when it was too cold and nasty to go outside.

I read the weather reports that said Saturday and Sunday were supposed to be overcast with drizzle and mostly cloudy Monday through Wednesday. I figured, perfect planting time. So Saturday morning I go out and transplant these guys into my garden.

In true weather prediction form, Saturday turned into a drop dead gorgeous blue skies and sunny kind of day. So did Sunday. Today it was also sunny but windy. Tomorrow and Wednesday are also supposed to be even more windy, with gusts up to 30 MPH. Besides writing a nasty letter to weather.com, I'm not sure what else to do.

Now of course my plants are looking absolutely horrible. I present exhibits A through D:

Big Gourd:
6992_imag1673.jpg

Pumpkins:
6992_imag1674.jpg

6992_imag1675.jpg

6992_imag1676.jpg

Some of these look like they can't be saved. Any ideas? There's 20 plants in this garden, a combo of pumpkins, cukes, squash, gourds. I had such high hopes.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It doesn't look like all is lost to me. *Maybe* the top pic of the gourd, but ,to me anyway, I would think they were salvageable if they were in my garden.
Why don't you try to devise some form of temporary windbreak for them for a week or two, and maybe a bit of shade if the weather is going to be somewhat warm, until they're acclimated to being in the garden.
I think they'll be fine with a little hand holding. :)

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just looks like they are a little upset over being transplanted, feed them in their watering(I use mild compost tea and if nothing else is available a mild miracle grow water to transplant), and yes, make a temporary wind break, I think they will pull out of it. as soon as they take root in their new home they will start looking good again.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I placed some lobster compost over top of them when I planted, so watering them gives them some dilute "compost tea" - No idea how I'm going to get a windbreak out there for them, but I'll do my best tomorrow after work to fashion something if there's anything left of them.
This stinks.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I felt bad for my plants having to weather this (har har) another 24 hours and just went outside (braving the wildlife, mostly I'm afraid of skunks) to prop up some old plywood on the fence. Now hopefully the fence doesn't topple over under the weight of the plywood and the winds, but that's another worry.

And then when I was almost done I encountered this:
6992_219092_173558062698763_100001337108712_395534_6355185_o.jpg

So I've got 90% of the plywood "windblocks" up... the rest can wait.

UGGH UGGH UGGHHH :ep

pebbles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, the lengths we go to for our plants. I finally put my little lemon tree outside, it has been nice and warm....next day COLD and windy...not a lemon or leaf left on it...heavy sigh.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They look fine to me, plants are tough. Just let them get used to their new environment.

What the heck is lobster compost?

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was wondering about lobster compost also., but it sounds like something awesome for the garden. I know that fish fertilizer is fantastic!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I want to revive stressed plants I usually use vitamin B1. The easiest commercial plant formula to find is Superthrive, which is available in most nurseries, even the chains. it's a small bottle but it only takes a few drops in the water.

Latest posts