Should I plant my clematis?

flocksofphlox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So I don't know what to do with my four clematis plants that I bought from the store, they are all sprouted with little three to five inch shoots, I didn't think of it at the time but now I realize maybe I should get them planted, I don't know, will it hurt them just to leave the sprouted clematis roots in the package dry? I'm not sure if I can plant them outside in the garden yet because it's still frosting and freezing at night and it won't be frost free until late April. I know clematis are perennials where I live because I have two of them that have been outside in the garden for years now, and they do fine with frost while they go dormant, but what about my new plants that I just bought? What if the frost shocks them? :idunnocan I plant them in a pot?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I don't know what to do with my four clematis plants that I bought from the store, they are all sprouted with little three to five inch shoots, I didn't think of it at the time but now I realize maybe I should get them planted, I don't know, will it hurt them just to leave the sprouted clematis roots in the package dry? I'm not sure if I can plant them outside in the garden yet because it's still frosting and freezing at night and it won't be frost free until late April. I know clematis are perennials where I live because I have two of them that have been outside in the garden for years now, and they do fine with frost while they go dormant, but what about my new plants that I just bought? What if the frost shocks them? :idunnocan I plant them in a pot?

i'd put them in a deep enough pot. you don't want the bare roots to dry out but the plants overall don't mind cooler temperatures so you can keep them in a cool location. freezing however would set them back.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Perennials can tolerate frost when they are established, however, young plants can still be killed by severe frost, even trees. I will also suggest using pots first as a transitional option before planting them to their permanent location, anyway a safer environment.

flocksofphlox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
i'd put them in a deep enough pot. you don't want the bare roots to dry out but the plants overall don't mind cooler temperatures so you can keep them in a cool location. freezing however would set them back.
Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.🙂 I will pot them today!

flocksofphlox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I really enjoy coming to the easy gardener with questions, everyone is very helpful! Thank you Phaedra! Also, I am always inspired by you're content! :frow
Perennials can tolerate frost when they are established, however, young plants can still be killed by severe frost, even trees. I will also suggest using pots first as a transitional option before planting them to their permanent location, anyway a safer environment.

Latest posts