Show me your planted hills!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got more dirt moved and boxed up the mulch I used last year to kill off weeds.
Hen decided to come over and help me out with bug control. :D
155990_543343125699200_1700370173_n.jpg

558132_543342885699224_1056688029_n.jpg

558132_543342882365891_759717342_n.jpg

ry%3D400

Here are the bulb plants coming up that I don't know what they are.
ry%3D400

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sure looks like Iris in the back. If it is, you should be abl to see part of the tuber above ground.

In front, daffodil or narcissus would be my guess. Crocus might be a possiblitly but I think they are too thick for crocus?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, looks like iris in the back, and the others look like daffodils or snowflake.

Ever look at brent and becky's bulb website? google it up! be prepared to spend awhile there...takes a little figuring how to navigate there but its doable.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree crocus at least here have thinner leaves that have a leaf pattern more like a spider plant than something that wide an upright.

I was thinking Iris for the bigger leaves and daffodils for the smaller darker clustered leaves. If you can't see tubers they might be tulips. I don't think they are but that would be my next guess.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sec, those daffodil or snowdrops should begin to have buds soon.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is such a tiny forum....
So no one has a hill, eh?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a hill. :frow
My driveway runs down the middle of it. I've been slowly covering one side with daylilies for the past few years. There are a few volunteer 'trees' that I've been training and pruning to look like they're there on purpose. :D The pasture fence is behind the trees & lilies. It's not quite what you're looking for.
As far as landscaping goes, my usual plan is to plant something, care for it the first summer, and then it's pretty much on it's own. Bulbs are good. Self seeding things are great. Things that stay all year are big a plus. I have yucca around the corner post on the opposite side of the drive. Several years ago I put in 8 crape myrtles. Two of them apparently are a small variety and have never gotten over 4' tall. I've collected seeds from them and hope to put several of them along a fence line or something similar soon.
I suggest that you wander around your property and find plants that you can move. I collected a bunch of tiny little fir trees from along the road and put them at fence posts around the pastures. Some of them are nearly 4' tall now and looking good. You can pick up bulbs super cheap and places like Dollar General and Big Lots... stick them in the ground and see what happens. One year I happened to be in the garden dept of one of the 'big box' stores when they were starting to put out mums by the hundereds. They had a couple of carts full of sad little things that were on the way back to the green house (or the trash). I offered them .50 each for the 3" pots and $1 for the 1gal and picked out a back seat load of things. Some made it, some didn't but it was an easy way to get a BUNCH of things to try. Some of them went on that driveway hill - sort of a dark yellow daisy thing that self seeds and caps the turn from the drive to the barn. Shrubs of nearly any kind could be useful on your hill. Or you could stick several little pots of the aggressive ground cover kinds of plants in and come back in a year and see what they're up to.
Hope this helps a little.
Debbie

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
secuono said:
This is such a tiny forum....
So no one has a hill, eh?
Okay, so I do have a hill. It is on the north side of a row of 25 foot tall arborvitae. We've been trying to clear parts of it out and I've been pretty good at keeping what's cleaned tidy over the summer. In the winter, that's where the snow plow puts as much of the snow as possible, because the other side is brush and trees too close to the road.

In fact, that's where the dog found what little poison ivy we have here.

I have future plans to plant the hill since grass just doesn't do well. I have no pics or ideas to share.

Love, Smart Red

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't want anything large, as that area is where my veggie garden gets it's sun from. Fiance hate pine trees, I don't really like them, they are sticky and drop needles. Plus, our pastures are for the horses, not weed trees or other weeds the animals cannot eat.

Oh, the same hen who helped with the hill the other day, decided to help me feed the animals today!
ry%3D480

Latest posts