Show Us Your Tomato!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haven't had one yet. I picked these 3 because they were so huge I was afraid they were going to split. One is almost ready :drool
If I get enough at one time, I'm excited to try making some white tomato soup.

I can say that they've grown big and strong with little or no noticable damage from pests and such. Lots of large tomatos coming along. They have the oddest little bumpy bottoms though.

eta: yes, they're from Baker Creek

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
PLEASE

Keep us posted!!! I've been eyeing them and I'm very curious what you think of them. I saw some white paste tomatoes that I thought would be interesting to grow especially to turn into soup or sauce, heck even in pico!

Made some pico one year that I added some green zebras and lemon boys to and people gave me and my pico a weird look till they broke down and tried it. It was a huge hit because of all the flavor I got from the variety of tomatoes. When asked I think I counted 6 different kinds of tomatoes. It was near the end of the year and we had a party to go to so I picked what I had and went with it.

It sure was a pretty dish!

I'm a total sucker for odd things like that. All the fun colored and oddly shaped tomatoes, purple peppers, multicolored corn, purple potatoes, etc. I think it appeals to the kid in me always curious and wanting to explore. I'm not sure but I know its triggered more than a :rolleyes: from my very understanding wife. So long as it doesn't interfere with our normal planting and harvesting I'm usually ok. That and don't go all crazy and plant a whole garden of misfit plants my "little science projects" as she often calls them are overlooked.

She has told me a few times "Why would you want a ____ ____ anyway? Its still a ______." I just can't help myself sometimes. The question most often asked is "What are you going to do with it?" Although she's learned to take "Well if I get something then Ill eat it and if its not good I won't grow it again" as a viable answer since usually that's all I got when I get blindsided with that question!

Thank goodness seeds are cheap! :gig

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve again . . :rolleyes:

Of course no ripe tomatoes! Why would you even ask?? Okay, so nobody asked
tumbleweed_zps70cf9c3a.gif

So Lucky, I think you would be able to discern the differences in flavors. I also think that a lot of the heirloom interest is simply because people got used to red soopermarket tomatoes - and their garden-variety relatives in 90% of American gardens. There are lots of variables that might go into what a tomato tastes like, & with heirlooms, even individual plant differences may be some of them. Color, I think is closely related to flavor. Maybe 33% so it wouldn't mean that if you liked one yellow tomato, you'd like them all. There's another 67% of "flavor variables" . . . try saying that with a mouth full of lunch-time berry pie!

Steve's digits (the rest of him is too busy to take the time for trivial comments like this :p)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had the first of the White Wonder tomatoes as a sandwich for lunch yesterday. PERFECT!!!! Mild flavor. Not too strong. I like tomatoes, but not TOMATOES, ya know?.
I saw some yellow/cream peeking from under the vines yesterday but was setting up a sick chicken and didn't have time to get in there to pick. I've got 5 on the counter now, hoping to get a few more and make some white tomato soup to freeze.
LIKE these - will plant again!

eta: Figured out how to get a picture from the phone to the computer! (though not the greatest quality pictures... color is off - these are really creamy yellow) They're very bumpy/wrinkely tomatoes with the stem set deep. So once I've cored them, the first couple of slices have a hole in the middle. These are in order from ripest to greenest - each one is a good palm size.
8721_white_wonders_71313.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like the white wonder tomatoes, very mild. Though I love ALL tomatoes I've tried so far. The strongest and the mildest.... I enjoy them all! :p

Yours sure are pretty, Canesisters!

Bleenie

Sprout
Reaction score
I just joined the site and found this topic on the main page, I LOVE tomatoes! I only have a few varieties this year and not sure if I can even remember all the names. They have all been bought at fruitstands and I tried to get the funkiest i could find. I have one producing fruit, I believe it's a "Striped German". I will have to share some pictures when they get some color, I have a bad habit of picking them when they're still green to can for fried green tomatoes during winter!

is there a website i can find the oddball heirloom varieties on or do you guys get them from swapping seeds every year?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Bleenie and :welcome

I have bought some neat heirloom/OP varieties from the following places: Baker Creek , Swallowtail Seeds and Totally Tomatoes. And also have obtained some from swaps on here and other places. We used to do a seed train in the winter, but didn't this last year for some reason. Sometimes they'll have one BYC too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh good, another excuse to post on a tomato topic! Especially, now that I've used up my picture of a ripe tomato on those other threads . . .

Hi Bleenie! Welcome to TEG :frow.

Here are several boutique seed shops that my tomato patch has benefited from:

www.sampleseeds.com (Real Nice Lady there :))

www.caseysheirloomtomatoes.ca

www.tomatofest.com (a big website but still seems to be run as a small scale, kitchen table business)

I think all of those links will work for you. I hope you have fun!

Steve
edit today because when i went in the bedroom after typing this last night, there was the www.tomatogrowers.com catalog beside the bed :rolleyes:. really like the company & another nice lady!

Latest posts