Show us your tomatoes

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like bacon cooked in microwave better than stove. Much less fat.
Hah ? When you cook bacon ... the fat is rendered from the slice of bacon in liquid form. The longer it is cooked the crispier the bacon therefore more fat is removed. When you say that there is less fat when you microwave it , you infer that you did not remove the fat in liquid form , but the fat is still there in solid form in the slice of bacon. :th :caf

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Got them picked but not pruned. This is after I gave the neighbor about a third of each, her 7 yr. old is my lil' farmhand/helper, I pick and she does "quality control"...no split fruits in this batch thanks to her expert observations. The mushroom also came from the neighbor, trade time, love it!
20170903_104036.jpg

Early Girl
20170903_104144 (1).jpg

What''s left of the Sweet 100's (yum!) and the 'shroom.

I'm thinkin' BLTM's for dinner, or maybe a BLT and a MS (mushroom/swiss), I know I could eat one of each, no problem! :D

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LocoYokal I start cutting 1/2 the length off of the leaf branches after they set fruit, don't know if it helps but it cleans them up and no need to grow anymore foliage after fruit set.
Thank You!
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, off to NIP I go...:)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob, sounds right but doesn't work that way. When you nook it, bacon fat drips off of bacon. When you fry it in its own fat, it stays saturated with fat. Nooked is crispy and less fat.

But I'll eat bacon either way as long as crispy....hate soft bacon.

@Nyboy, buy a microwave bacon pan-real cheap. Put slices on it, cover with paper towel-stops bacon splatter-nook and eat.....quick, easy and so good with northern tomatoes.... ours is well used....

IMG_0991.JPG

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never thought to try. Sounds good with nawthern tomatoes.....

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector there is something hypnotic about your photo, did you careful place each tomato for photo ? I got lost staring into it for a minute or two

I just separated them by color but it does looked kinda staged lol. There are a lot more to pick those are just the plants by the house.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got them picked but not pruned. This is after I gave the neighbor about a third of each, her 7 yr. old is my lil' farmhand/helper, I pick and she does "quality control"...no split fruits in this batch thanks to her expert observations. The mushroom also came from the neighbor, trade time, love it!
View attachment 21792
Early Girl
View attachment 21793
What''s left of the Sweet 100's (yum!) and the 'shroom.

I'm thinkin' BLTM's for dinner, or maybe a BLT and a MS (mushroom/swiss), I know I could eat one of each, no problem! :D

Those Early girls sure look good, does the neighbor grow those shrooms?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are some of the little guys.

View attachment 21757
The pink, pearl-shaped ones are Porter. This was my grandmother's tomato and DW's introduction to something other than red and round. The red and round ones here ;) are Sweet Chelsea. Oh yum! Sweet 100 genetics but with some size to them. There are the candy-like and ever-popular Sungolds off to the right. Beside them are the Yellow Jelly Beans.

A Yellow Jelly Bean plant this evening:

View attachment 21758
It receives little attention except to enjoy the snacking! Tomato flavor and a nice, tender skin. O they are good and I am so happy to have found them 3 or 4 years ago. I was suspicious because of bad cracking problems with Yellow Pear and Red Jelly Bean plants are not nearly as healthy and productive. (I grew those for 2 years.) I will probably always want them in a 5 gallon pot at the foot of the back steps.

Some favorite little guys! You can click for a LARGER picture .. :)

Steve

Those yellow jelly beans look delicious, I am definitely growing them next year. Never heard of those porter before either, but they sure look good, My list keeps growing lol. I will post pics of the coyote tomatoes tomorrow they have an oddball but good flavor, just not the most productive plants out there. You are growing coyote also I think how do you like them?

Latest posts