Show us your tomatoes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering about you and your garden, @thistlebloom .

On Saturday morning, there was the thinnest of white on the north slope of the shed roof and some of the neighbors' roofs looked a bit odd, kinda patchy. The nearest WS thermometer had it as 5°f above freezing.

And, this morning - it's 52° and raining! And it's very dark at 5am. 80 days without rain! Please! not just a dampening ...

Steve

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's still raining, and it's been at least enough to rinse the dust off the patio umbrella, which I lowered yesterday. There is now quite a dirty puddle on the table top. :p

I'm so happy for the rain. The everlasting dustiness of living on a gravel road was wearing thin. And of course this helps the fire situations a lot.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's still raining, and it's been at least enough to rinse the dust off the patio umbrella, which I lowered yesterday. There is now quite a dirty puddle on the table top. :p

I'm so happy for the rain. The everlasting dustiness of living on a gravel road was wearing thin. And of course this helps the fire situations a lot.

We have a 4 lane highway outside our back fence, a summer with no rain to think of, windows open all summer, I know what you mean about dust :(.

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if I can keep the tomatoes going much longer with continuing cool weather.

Our low temperature this morning of 52°, may be our afternoon high temperature on a couple days of this week. Any clearing overnight and - boom! Frost.

The tomatoes had a little bit of a struggle this year with so much heat but the plants stayed healthy. Better fruit late doesn't help quite as well as months of lovely ripe tomatoes :D. Dreaming ... ah well, happy with what I've got: lots of cherries and lots of soon-to-be-ripe, big beefsteaks.

Steve :D

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We bought a hoop house years ago to extend our garden on both ends of the season. I never got a big headstart by more than 10 days or so for tomatoes so I do not put that much effort into that part of it's use. I overwinter my potted daylilies for sale the following season, harden off my seedlings that I start indoors, and I do put a few tomatoes, peppers and eggplant into pots for that elusive first red tomato and a few other early garden lovelies. I had extra tomato plants that i just dumped on the floor of the greenhouse waiting to put them into the compost pile. The floor of the green house is grow cloth to keep down the weeds. I had a few weeds come through and flourish and when I removed them the abandoned tomato plants were growing in their origin flat and roots had grown through the grow cloth. They splayed all over the floor and set huge tomatoes. Water must have reached them through the open door as I watered outdoor beds. Now they are ripening. The potted tomatoes are ripening too but of course I still have a lot of tomatoes outdoors. I thought I would show you the plants hell-bent on giving me some beautiful fruit though I had left them for dead.
tomatoes on floor.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have volunteer tomatoes with green cherries. They look like Sweet Chelsea but volunteers that looked like Sweet Chelsea's sister, Sweet 100, have NOT been sweet in past seasons. Hybrids.

They look good but it's really late! I can put a few green ones in the "seed rack" this week. The weather's really unsettled so I don't think that the plants can ripen much fruit, no matter planted or volunteers.

It's fun to be curious and optimistic. And, appreciative of what we happen on :).

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I loved the newer yellow tomatoes when they first came out-so sweet. The following years I thought the taste changed with the same varieties-I bought new seed. I no longer grow them.

Latest posts